Low Pressure Power Washer

Old 04-04-14, 08:57 AM
Low Pressure Power Washer

I have a generac 2700psi PW(model#0061490/sn#6287274). Last time I used it in 11/2013 and worked well at that time. I just took it out yesterday to do some work and went to hit the trigger and there was a burst of pressure for a second or two and then hardly any pressure. I thought I read somewhere on here while doing a search that the unloader valve could be stuck(clean it and how to do so?). I already have the pump off. Anything I could clean while I have it off the PW and how do I clean off the parts? Many Thanks: Don

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-14, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since it's off and apart, take the valves out and see if they need cleaning or have bad o-rings or what. Make sure you notice how it comes apart so you can get it all back right. You can lube the valves with silicone lube, pick it up in a pool supply section for lubing o-rings on pool pumps.

Old 04-04-14, 07:38 PM
From the photo's, can you tell me which parts to disassemble? Thank you.

Old 04-05-14, 10:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
At least the big brass valve, and I might be tempted to look at the three other valves next to it.

Old 04-05-14, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
I am going through a similar issue with two pressure washers, one electric on gas.

Down through where the pistons run through on the pump head you see some small white plastic parts. They are check valves. Pull them out and see if they can open and close. Mine were stuck with sand.
Name:  pump head.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  38.0 KB

Old 05-07-14, 07:17 PM
A few q's?
I'm including a few photo's:
1-Exactly what, where and how much silicone lube(got it in lowes) do I use?

2-How and with what do I clean out these area's(carb cleaner)?

Many Thanks:
Don

Attached Images   
Old 05-07-14, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I like to use bristle brushes similar to what you would use to clean a shotgun barrel. For the lube, just wipe a coating on all moving parts, especially the rubber o-rings.

Old 05-08-14, 05:58 AM
Thanks, but would I also need to use a cleaning solution with the brush or just the bristle brush itself?

Old 05-10-14, 05:46 AM
Do I need to change the water seals? They seem ok.

Old 05-10-14, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I never used any cleaner solution. If the seals look good, use again.

Old 05-13-14, 10:24 AM
Got the new valves in and bolted the two pump pieces together. But I don't know how much oil to put in the pump before I bolt it back on the PW. I did not measure how much came out. A service place near here said about half way with 30wt. Anyone know? Many thanks.

Old 05-13-14, 10:29 AM
Forgot, here are a few pics:

Attached Images   
Old 05-13-14, 01:17 PM
Now this concerns me. I found the specs on my pump and this is what it says:

Use oil only to add if low. This oil is a specially formulated synthetic with special
additives for the demands of the XJ, SJ, BK and RMV pump series. No other oil is factory approved for these pumps, and could result in pump failure.

So this means I have to use synthetic and buy special additives for this pump?

Here is the link for my pump: http://www.annovi-reverberi.com/pdfs/rmv-om%20806.pdf

Last edited by VengeFulHemi; 05-13-14 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Add Text/Insert Link
Old 05-13-14, 09:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't imagine it being that critical. I would put some synthetic 5-30 or something like that in it and let her rip. I might regret it later, but that's what I would do. I don't get that far with these in my shop anyway, so I can't give you better info than that.

Old 05-14-14, 12:11 PM
Thanks cheese. I really do appreciate all your help and I will be buying some synthetic 5w30. I found out that it takes 2.2oz. Just one more question, where exactly do I put the oil into? Can you use my photos to point it out? Many many thanks. Don

Old 05-14-14, 09:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Where did it come out from? I believe some of these are open straight through the hole where the crankshaft goes, but I'm not sure this one does.

Old 05-15-14, 06:07 PM
Spoke to a tech rep at annovi. Granted, he was an industrial pump tech and not a consumer one, but he knew very well what he was talking about. He even had the specs for my pump. He said I should have had absolutely no oil when I removed the pump. It is all self contained. Being that I had oil leak out, it's a sign that I have a leak(most likely) from an oil seal in the pump. So now, do I replace the oil seal in the pump, or do I spend a lot more for a whole new one?

Old 05-15-14, 08:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Didn't the oil just sump out when you took the pump off and turned it over? Seems like that's usually how they do. I see the seal in your pump and it looks fine. I'm not so sure I buy what he's saying. Look down the crankshaft hole and see if you see an oily innards.

Old 05-16-14, 06:58 AM
When I removed the four bolts at first, the oil started to drain even before I had the whole unit off. About 1/8th of a quart(maybe a bit less) of oil came out. The hole in and around the crankshaft is bone dry. The hole in and around the pump is dry(even keep the pump upside down all the time). I'll throw in a pic of the crankshaft.

Attached Images  
Old 05-16-14, 09:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
So the oil was between the engine and the big black seal shown at the top of the pump? Weird. I don't know enough about this part of the pump to tell you how to add oil to it.

Old 05-16-14, 04:11 PM
Yes. As soon as I unbolted the pump from the engine the oil leached out. Should I remove the snap ring and take apart the pump. How do you believe the oil seal is ok?

Old 05-16-14, 05:16 PM
I'm gunna take a wild guess and say that the oil is added before the outer seal is put on then the oil seal after that?

Old 05-19-14, 10:32 AM
Found out where(apparently) where the pump oil is added. Looking closer at the parts breakdown, it say's "oil plug". Now it's flat, but it is threaded in the center. I don't know what to use to remove the plug.

Attached Images  
Old 05-19-14, 08:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry, not much help here. I think if I had to complete this, I would pull the snap ring and seal and add my oil there if it exposes the inside of the pump as I think it will. The fact that the oil was above the seal is strange. Even if the seal was leaking, how would the oil have gone up above it? The oil would have drained back inside if it was leaking and oil somehow was able to overcome gravity and get up there.

Old 05-20-14, 06:44 PM
Here is a partial end to this thread. I spoke to the actual warranty/tech dept directly at annovi reverberi. A super cool guy named doug had gave his input and suggested that I needed a new pump. I said ok and can you give me a ballpark# for cost. He said online they range from $102-$150. I said whewwww, that is pricey. He said to me that your unit is out of warranty, but then he said that he really appreciated my calmness and patience, so he was going to send me out a new pump at no cost, plus include the unloader with it. And he is giving me a pump that is just a weeee bit more powerful(G25 or G30) than the G24 I have. He told me that getting that large seal out is next to impossible because it is pressed in, but he said I can play around with it being that he said to keep the old one. And if I do get it out(without hopefully damaging the aluminum wall) he said to call him and he will send me new seals to put in that. He also said that is infact the oil plug and the oil is filled in that location. All I have to do is pop it out with a wood screw. So the outcome has turned out well. Cheese my friend, you have been a great help to me and I thank you so much!

Don

Last edited by VengeFulHemi; 05-20-14 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-20-14, 08:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're welcome, however, I wasn't much help! Glad it worked out well though. This re-establishes my stance on not tearing into these pumps anymore. I used to mess with them years ago once in a while, but it quickly became evident that they weren't really made to last that long or be repaired. The bigger pumps I will work on.