Murray mowed deck Pulley brake question

Old 04-09-14, 10:36 AM
Question Murray mower deck Pulley brake question

Hi Everyone,

I ripped apart the mower deck on my 1998 Murray 42" Lawn tractor model 42544x8B (Freebie from the previous home owner) to give it a good paint job since it hasn't been touched in the 16 years of ownership! Everything is in good to very good shape except the brake pads that stop the pulleys. I looked into getting OEM Murray replacement parts but they only sell the entire arm assembly - $16 for one and $31 for the other!! plus S&H of course

There is no way :NO NO NO: I am paying $47 plus when there is nothing wrong with the metal brackets..

Unfortunately you cannot just replace the pad (well you could but no one makes one.)

So what are my options? HDPE Plastic (drilled and riveted on)? A piece of hardwood (oak or maple)? Is brake pad material available in sheets?

Thanks in advance
-CS-

Last edited by CraZySteve; 04-09-14 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-14, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
Not familiar with this but I wondered if you could by a cheap set of brake shoos and drill out the rivets to remove the break material?

Old 05-17-14, 02:57 PM
I agree with "Ray2047" I'm looking for just "brake pads" myself for my TroyBilt - Broncos Rider Mower deck ... to try a DIY and found a pair for $5.57 !
283-0029 - Replacement Brake Pads
~BBD