Craftsman front wheel drive - cant pull backwards

Old 04-10-14, 09:34 AM
Craftsman front wheel drive - cant pull backwards

Have a Craftsman 917-376164 front wheel drive mower in the shop. The owner says there is a problem with the drive as he can not pull it backwards while pulling up on the drive bar. This is with the engine not running. Maybe this is the way it is supposed to work ?? The drive seems to work fine otherwise. If you don't pull the drive bar up it pulls backwards fine.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-14, 09:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My stepson has the same/similar mower. I do all his maintenance. I'm thinking when you engage the drive it locks the front wheels where they no longer free wheel ...... but I've not been around his mower since last year.

Old 04-10-14, 01:48 PM
I just realized I also have a troybilt (with a Honda engine) in that acts the same way. I think that is the way they are supposed to work. However I have another craftsman (also with a Honda engine) in that allows you to pull it backwards with the drive handle engaged. Help

Old 04-10-14, 02:26 PM
That doesn't make sense. If the drive handle engages the wheels (engine running or not) then it must go forward. Releasing it allows it to be dragged backward. I don't see the problem.
Jl66redcpe, how can that be? If the drive handle is engaged then the wheels move forward. How can they be free wheeling if still engaged?

Old 04-10-14, 02:47 PM
Norm201 - I agree with you. I feel it is working properly. It is the owner who seems to think there is a problem.

Old 04-10-14, 02:52 PM
Norm201 - I agree with you. I feel it is working properly. It is the owner who seems to think there is a problem.
I was referring to your second statement about the "...craftsman (also with a Honda engine) in that allows you to pull it backwards with the drive handle engaged."

What am I missing? I have a mower that has front wheel drive but I must tilt back on the back wheels to lift front wheels in order to turn or back up.

Old 04-10-14, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or reading this right? When you engage the transmission, it won't roll backwards, and when you disengage the transmission, it will?

Old 04-11-14, 03:12 AM
Cheese - that is correct. Is that supposed to be the way it works.

Old 04-11-14, 04:18 AM
Tell the owner to look at his manual on page 8 at the bottom.