how to replace reed breather on Briggs engine

Old 04-13-14, 04:07 PM
how to replace reed breather on Briggs engine

I have a Briggs 21 HP 331877-1234-B1 (Craftsman) engine that is blowing smoke when under load. I'm thinking it might be the reed breather, but I'm not sure how to do that. The parts sheet doesn't exactly show where it is on the engine. It's probably under the OHV cover, but what is involved in replacing? This engine is only 4 years old. Shouldn't need a rebuild, so I'm going for the easy stuff first. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-14, 05:28 PM
What color is the smoke, white/blue=oil, black=fuel. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-13-14, 08:02 PM
Smoke. Color

Blue--but only smokes under load. No apparent loss of power.

Old 04-14-14, 08:20 AM
Check the oil it might be overfull, if it is check to see if it smells like gas, if so the carb float or seat has failed and let gas into the crankcase and you will need to change the oil. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-14-14, 08:41 AM
I did just change the oil. Nothing unusual. I have had to add oil to compensate for the loss due to burning. This all started happening at the end of last season. Prior to that, there were no issues with the oil.

Old 04-15-14, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The breather isn't going to be the problem. Replacing it is easy though, should you decide it's what you want to do. It's held on with 2 small screws behind the carburetor ont he side of the engine. Take the carburetor off (just take the 2 screws out where the intake bolts to the head and pull the whole assembly out of the way, not just the carb). Then take out the 2 screws, pop the breather off, clean the old gasket off, put new on, and reassemble.

Your problem is more likely due to a leaking head gasket or worn rings. 4 years is longer than many have lasted, and shorter than most. I wonder how well the air filter is sealed to the intake. Sounds like it has been ingesting dust.