Clean Shot pressure washer - engine "revs" - pump leaking?

Old 04-14-14, 07:19 AM
Clean Shot pressure washer - engine "revs" - pump leaking?

I was given a Clean Shot pressure washer 1.9 GPM, 2050 PSI.
It is abt 8 yrs old.
It is powered by a B&S 3.75hp Sprint engine.
The engine sits on top of the platform; the assembly is below.

A schematic can be seen at Clean Shot pressure washer model 020244-0 replacement parts, pump breakdown, repair kits, owners manual and upgrade pump. (Be sure to scroll down to "pg 3" showing blowup.

My issues are this:

1) The engine starts easily and the unit runs fine when the pump is in use (i.e., the trigger is pulled). When I release the trigger, the engine revs or surges: high, low, high, low, etc. It never stalls, but it is up, down, up, down.

2) Water leaks (more than a dribble) from where the two sections of the pump assembly meet. As shown on the schematic, the upper part of the pump assy (A on the schematic) is called the Case/Piston Assy. The lower part (L on the schematic) is called the Head. Both parts are cast aluminum. The top side of the Head (where the Head abuts the Piston Assy) is cast with 3 or 4 small cutouts or ports. Water leaks out of these ports. (And, I can actually snake a 14 gauge wire thru the port and into the pump assembly.

Ques 1: Shld water be leaking out of these ports? I cannot think of any good reason to cast the Head with these ports, but I don't know . . . .

Ques 2: Is the rev'ing engine related to the leaking water (maybe a pressure loss)? Or is the reving engine due to something else (maybe a bad unloader valve)?? Again, the engine runs fine and there is plenty of pressure coming from the wand when the trigger is pulled. But when I release the trigger, the engine starts rev'ing. The rev'ing is actually more iritating than anything else, but it may be affecting performance also for all I know (b/c I have not owned this machine since new.)

Thanks for all your help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-14, 07:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't get the site with the diagrams to load right now, so I'm not sure where it's leaking from, however, the surging on that engine is likely due to either the air filter clogged, a spring misplaced, missing, or stretched out on the governor, or a bad diaphragm between the carburetor and the gas tank. Most often it's the diaphragm.

Search this Thread