honda hr214/ gxv120

Old 04-20-14, 09:26 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
honda hr214/ gxv120

was cutting too high grass this spring and guess honda hr214 old faithful overheated or i did something to it and it started leaking oil out of the top area. took off recoil and flywheel and replaced top seal and valve cover gasket and it still leaks oil after engine warms up. thought i would ask for some advice on this forum as seems quite knowledgeable before i part my baby out and sell on ebay.
could it be leaking oil anywhere else? could main shaft have got buggered up? if it involves replacing any innards of engine i will probably just part it out as it is pretty old as one can imagine. TIA for any input

Old 04-20-14, 09:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Is there any side play in the top end of the crankshaft? How did you replace the seal? Any chance the crankshaft got scratched?

Old 04-21-14, 08:34 AM
M
oil leak

thanks for the reply, cheese, as i have noticed your other informative replies to posters.

I cannot feel any play in the top part of the shaft. it appears stable on applying strong pressure by hand.

I tried to be careful on removing old seal. used screwdriver and hemostat.

Aren't the top seal and the valve cover the only place it could be leaking oil if it is coming from the top part of the engine? I don't see any other gaskets on the schematic in this area.

Could I have have somehow caused the engine to overheat/messup whereby an excessive amount of pressure builds up inside? don't see how. Love these lawnmowers as I actually have 2 more of the HR214 (although like me they are starting to show their age) and 1 HR215. thanks

Old 04-21-14, 08:37 AM
M
forgot. on replacing the seal i used PVC (3/4" ?) and rubber mallet to seat it home. seemed down as far as the original seal.

Old 04-21-14, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
It's hard to guess, better to look and see where it is coming from.

Old 06-08-15, 01:15 PM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Curious if you ever got anywhere with the leak on the top side?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: