Troy Bilt Pony 2004

Old 04-23-14, 07:07 AM
Troy Bilt Pony 2004

My lawn mower model number is 13AN689G766; motor model number is 31C707 Briggs & Stratton. I got on the mower, tried to start it, but no noise at all. I tried to start it a second time, and it turned over, but never fired, so I turned the key off, but it kept trying to start on its own. I took my foot off the clutch, but it wouldn't stop trying to start, and I finally had to put the throttle lever down to turtle before it would stop. Waited a minute and thought I'd try it again to see what would happen, but this time is tried to start, then turned into a loud humming noise. I pulled it out of the garage in case it blew up, but the whining noise finally just dwindled away. The starter was really hot, and now there is no noise AT ALL when you try and start it. I replaced the solenoid and fuse, but everything is still the same. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 07:19 AM
I would suspect the ignition switch. Often a visual inspection of the back side of it, where the wires connect, will tell you all that you need to know, but, barring that, remove and check it with an ohmmeter. You will want a wiring schematic, in order to know which terminals are which, and should find that in the owner's manual or on the manufacturer's website.

Old 04-23-14, 07:40 AM
Thanks, I'll try it out after work today.

Old 04-23-14, 09:30 AM
Will the back side of it look burned, and is that how I will know it needs to be replaced?

Old 04-23-14, 09:39 AM
Not always, but yes, sometimes you can see that they are burned or melted. If not, that's when the ohmmeter and schematic fit in. And switches do fail on their own, but I forgot to mention before that if you do find the switch is bad, I would check all of the wires going to it for loose connections, physical damage, etc., because it may have had some help. And it's entirely possible that the switch is not bad, but the fact that it kept trying to start with the key in the off position tells me it's a good place to start.

Old 04-23-14, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The humming sound you heard was your starter turning. It eventually quit because you let it go until it killed the battery. it may have burnt the starter as well, and the solenoid, and possibly wiring. usually when one keeps cranking after you turn the key off, it is because the solenoid got stuck. I think that's what happened here, however I don't know what the burnt switch deal would be about.