Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

rioby model ry28040 won't start

CANADA

04-25-14, 02:12 PM   #1  
rioby model ry28040 won't start

My rioby trimmer model ry28040 worked great during one year or so, then it started having problems. It starts and works well for a few minutes, then it begins to choke to shutdown and its no possible to start it again.

any idea?

Sponsored Links

IA

04-25-14, 06:56 PM   #2  
It sounds like it isn't getting fuel. If it speeds up just before shutdown it's not getting fuel. If it's flooding out it would spit out smoke and quit more slowly.

Probably putting a kit in the carb would take care of it. They run about ten dollars and most with average mechanical skills can put them in.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

04-25-14, 08:16 PM   #3  
In most cases I've found they do not even sell repair kits for Ryobi carburetors, just the whole carb
Ryobi String Trimmer Model RY28040 Parts from RepairClinic.com

Main cause for carburetor problems is ethanol fuel. Use nonethanol fuel, or at least use the additive that counter acts the effects of it.
Never mix more then 1 gal. at a time so you have fresh fuel.
At the end of the year run it until all the fuel runs out.

CANADA

04-29-14, 02:00 PM   #4  
thanks for your reply.
I'm not sure if I explained my self well. The problem is more like this " it's flooding out and quit slowly to shutdown" but I can't recall if it spits out smoke before shutdown.
anyway I've been using a very poor gas, so I ordered a new carburator and if that solves the problem I'll use a better gasoline from now on
what's that kit for the carb by the way?

Search this Thread