25hp craftsman kohler command 50" cut

Old 04-26-14, 06:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
25hp craftsman kohler command 50" cut

i have mower described above. It has had a issue turning over for awhile. You go out mount up turn key work clutch and eventually starter would hit. I assumed it was interlock/clutch switch. Replaced reinstalled and proceeded to try and crank it. It is same thing. Battery has 12.3 volts and positive cable to solenoid has 12.3 but you get nothing across it and does not try turning over. I hear a clicking from front on engine and see wiring going that way. I am thinking the stator wires but hear " click" when I turn key to start position. Is it ok to jump across seat switch? This way I can work from front with out having to make seat switch. Does anyone have any clue of maybe another safety switch or way to trouble shoot or ohm out switches. Like I say you get on turn key click from engine front but solenoid not hitting or trying to turn over. I would appreciate any info and maybe my skills may serve you 1 day. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-14, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Depending on the temperature 12.3 volts is only about a 60% charge for a lead acid battery. Try putting it on a charger for several hours or take the battery to an auto parts store and have it tested.

Many carburetors have a fuel shutoff solenoid that is energized when the key is in the run position which may be the click you hear.

Old 04-27-14, 11:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you short across the solenoid, will the engine crank? If not, then the switches are not the problem. Post results and we'll go from there.

Old 04-28-14, 04:15 AM
If you hear a click when you turn on the ignition switch on that indicates the solenoid relay is engaging. However it does not mean the solenoid is good. You could still have bad contacts inside of it. It could also have a weak battery,dirty battery terminals.

Mowers today have several safety switches also. Depending on model and year of manufacture. With riders.. seat,clutch,blade pto on most.

Good luck

Old 04-28-14, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since he says the click is toward the front of the engine, I suspect that it's the fuel shutoff solenoid making the click, not the starter solenoid.