Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton Readystart question

FL

04-28-14, 10:46 AM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton Readystart question

Hello everyone, neighbor brought me her pressure washer, troy bilt unit with briggs 175cc motor that has been used 2 or 3 times in 2 seasons - cant get it started :-)
Long story short, since this is my first look at the readystart system, is this thing basically an automatic choke type deal? I removed, soaked, blew out carb as I usually do and it still wont start 'unassisted'. I can look inside the carb throat when assembled and see the choke butterfly closed. I either have to use a touch of starting fluid or can close off the intake with a rag to start it.
My guess is the carb is still dirty but is there anything in the readystart that is not letting it start readily? Once going it will idle fine but under load will surge a little which again leads me to dirty carb - unless that readystart is trying to close or something. Bowl is clean, jets appear clean and fresh non ethanol gas.
I haven't taken it apart enough to get model/type/code 'cause this is a pretty general question so far.

p.s. - last year i guess it was still under warranty as when she brought it to me it still had the service tag on it as well as her 'original' carburetor, air filter, etc in a bag. The carb was completely gummed up solid. They replaced the carb, air filter, etc. This time it was dirty but I've recovered from worse.....I think

Last edited by duigoose; 04-28-14 at 11:10 AM. Reason: forgot to say original carb was in a bag

Sponsored Links

IA

04-28-14, 11:10 AM   #2  
I would start by putting Sea Foam in it. Some carbs have to be dismantled to clean but a lot of them can be cleaned up of varnish very well with Sea Foam.

I'm sure your problem is related to a restricted passage in the carburetor.

FL

04-28-14, 01:42 PM   #3  
agreed, i've run a partial tank with seafoam in it .....might just need more run time. The biggest problem is it won't start 'normally'. I guess I can tell her to give it a shot of starting fluid when she starts it.

IA

04-28-14, 02:01 PM   #4  
Sea Foam takes out varnish pretty fast if that will do the trick. The choke circuit may not be the running circuit. I would try putting a 4 oz to a quart concentration of Sea Foam in it. Then take out off the plug wire so it won;t start, spin it over a few times, let it set for half a minute. Then repeat a couple times. That way the heavier concentration of Sea Foam will have a chance to work on the choke passage.

Search this Thread