Gehl HL3000 skid steer loader questions

Old 04-30-14, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Gehl HL3000 skid steer loader questions

OK, so the next project is Grandpa's skid loader. I managed to get it running... I've messed with it enough over the past few years that I'm kind of getting familiar with what it takes to get it to run (everything grandpa ever owned had some sort of "trick" to get it to run).

My main question has to do with the type of oil that should be used in the pump drive. (page 8 in this parts manual)

The 3/4" x 14" nipple that is the fill neck for the dipstick has vibrated loose and apparently no one ever noticed, so the dipstick reads empty (or very low). I can't find anywhere what type of oil to use... I would assume it's transmission oil (Type A or F?) but wasn't sure.

Grandpa also put the fuel pump on a switch of its own. I'm not sure of his reasoning there. Maybe he had trouble with the engine flooding because of a stuck needle or float or something... no idea. The fuel pump switch wasn't working (mouse pee) so I replaced it with a toggle switch, but it seems like the fuel pump runs at key on... and stops running at key off... so i don't know what the purpose of the redundant switch was. Seems like he always said to not turn the fuel pump switch on until the skid loader started. And he wanted you to turn the fuel pump switch off and let it run for a few seconds before you shut the ignition switch off. I just don't understand what the purpose of that was.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-14, 09:31 AM
Group Moderator
What is that pump used for? I would assume it's plain hydraulic oil though modern hydrostatics take special oil. I have seen power steering fluid used on some tractors that have a separate automotive style power steering system. A smell and rubbing some on your fingers should give you a clue as hydraulic oil has a more distinctive smell and is thicker than transmission, power steering fluid or hydrostatic oil.

Normally the fuel pump is on whenever the ignition switch is in the run or start position and off when in the off position. When the factory fuel pump dies or there is some electrical problem I've seen folks just throw an electric pump inline and run wires from the battery or wherever they can find power. Is this a gas or diesel engine?

Old 04-30-14, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
This is a on a 1976-1979 Gehl HL3000 skid loader.

Best as I can tell, looking at page 8 of the schematic in the link above it's not the hydraulics, but it is the drive system for the 2 hydrostatic pumps. Testing the oil would be a good idea, but knowing grandpa, he probably put any old oil in there... so matching whats in there probably isn't necessarily correct. I suppose I should call a Gehl dealer or maybe an implement dealership.

The engine itself is a 25HP Onan 2 cylinder gas engine. The fuel pump looks original to me, so I don't know what the deal is with the wiring.

Old 04-30-14, 11:08 AM
Owner's manual for Gehl skid steer.

http://www.gehl.com/docs/default-source/skid-loader-documents/e-series/5640e-6640e-operator's-manual.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Page 57 has the hydraulic oil specs.

RR

Old 04-30-14, 11:38 AM
Fuel

And he wanted you to turn the fuel pump switch off and let it run for a few seconds before you shut the ignition switch off. I just don't understand what the purpose of that was.
Perhaps to empty the carburetor to avoid varnish build-up??????

Old 04-30-14, 11:40 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks RR, but that's about 30 years newer and is nothing like this model of skid loader. The hydraulic fluid goes in the fill tube that's in the back door... that much I know because it's labeled and has a clear level indicator tube. I just want to make sure I am putting the right kind of lubricant inside the pump drive (page 8 in this parts manual) For all I know it could be motor oil.

I've looked through other manuals of skid steers that are closer in age to this one... SL3310, HL2500, HL360, but none of them show this pump drive and dip stick.

...could be wirepuller38... maybe he wanted to run the fuel bowl dry thinking it would help prevent carb problems. Or maybe he didn't like the backfire that it will sometimes produce when you turn it off.

Old 04-30-14, 02:34 PM
Lubricant

It looks like the assembly in question is essentially a gear box. It seems to me a gear lubricant such as would be used in a truck differential should do the job.

Old 04-30-14, 03:39 PM
It looks like a gearbox and calling it the pump drive. The question though is whether the gearbox is mated up to the pump and using the same oil which would be like a Hytran oil rather than a gearbox oil. A gear box oil would mess up a hydraulic pump.

If you just can't come up with an answer you're safer putting a Hytran in it which will run a gearbox or a hydraulic pump. Straight gear oil would only work in a gearbox.

Old 04-30-14, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Have you tried calling a Gehl dealer's service dept and asking them?