Craftsman lawn tractor has spark to only 1 plug.

Old 04-30-14, 05:11 PM
Craftsman lawn tractor has spark to only 1 plug.

On my Craftsman lawn tractor model 917.258492, I have spark only to the left side plug. None to the right plug. The plugs are new and I swapped them just to make sure they are both good - they are. I haven't had time to take the engine cover off to see where the plug wires go but I was wondering if anyone had knowledge about this model.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-14, 05:30 PM
Tell us the brand of engine and model #.
Fixed one last year with B&S twin. Had a bad coil and would only hit on one cylinder. Replaced coil with a new one and it ran fine.

Check under blower housing and see if the little furry creatures gnawed the spark wires during the winter. Have had that problem also.

RR

Old 04-30-14, 05:59 PM
Thanks RR. It's a B&S 18HP, model 422707 type = 1516-01. This has a MAGNETRON ignition
p/n 394891 - is that what you are calling a coil? I will check under the blower housing tomorrow.

Old 04-30-14, 06:50 PM
You will need to overlook my naming things. I am old school. Yes, it was the magnetron. It had failed. They do fail occasionally, but actually are quite reliable.
Same mower and engine you are messing with.

Have fun!

RR

Old 04-30-14, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That engine has one coil with two plug wires coming from it. If one is not firing and the other is, replace the coil. Word of caution though, replace it with an original briggs part, not aftermarket. I have not had good luck with aftermarket coils on these engines.