problem starting 4 cycle craftsman weedeater

Old 05-01-14, 10:25 AM
problem starting 4 cycle craftsman weedeater

it started with a broke pull start rope, as i took it apart i found the spring in the clutch broke so i installed a new clutch and a new rope. was having a tough time getting the trigger and its spring back to original configuration but finally figured it out by looking @ pics online . now everythings back together i cant get it to start. out of every few pulls it putters like it wants to start. every 20 pulls it actually starts but konks out after 2 seconds. im not sure if its the ignition cable is off because of the trigger problem or maybe i made the pull rope too long or maybe i didnt wind the spring loaded pull start rope thing enough times. im stuck , any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-14, 10:36 AM
*throttle cable i meant , maybe inside the handle its too far out making it flood or too short and not enough gas

Old 05-01-14, 09:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you pull the trigger, does the carburetor throttle move?

Old 05-04-14, 08:44 AM
i dont know for sure, i ended up breaking the new pull start cord again , crap. when i take it apart ill double check to see if the throttle is moving thanks for replying

Old 05-04-14, 11:45 AM
I was going to chime in on this topic until I read the Title and became confused.

I own a few Craftsman machines, including a walk behind Craftsman Weed Trimmer (4 Cycle 6HP) and two hand held Craftsman Weed Wackers (2 Cycle 32CC); but no Weed Eaters; nor do I think Sears (Craftsman) markets a 4 Cycle product by that name

How big a machine is the OP dealing with . . . . is it a walk behind unit, like a DR Trimmer; or a light String Trimmer that you carry in your arms, or strapped to your shoulder? Those are usually 2 cycle; but I know Troy-Bilt has a 4 Cycle . . . . still somewhat unusual.