Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

chainsaw cuts out after heavy use

05-02-14, 10:15 AM   #1  
chainsaw cuts out after heavy use

My chainsaw got an issue that I can't seen to figure out.

It starts fine, runs great (perhaps a bit too fast not sure). But when it is used seriously and I idle it stops running. Only by very slowly reducing throttle am I am able to keep it running at idle. Oil is okay, petrol is okay, air filter cleaned out.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

05-02-14, 11:55 AM   #2  
Hello and Welcome to the web site.

Suggestions wanted and/or possible causes?

MY TWO CENTS...

Engine seems to run a bit to fast? Note worthy point. Most likely and usually caused by a lean fuel mixture. Engine speeds controlled by fuel mixture. Less fuel creates a lean mixture resulting in higher engine speeds. There is no engine speed governor on the engine. Controlled by fuel mixture. Richer fuel mixtures slows speeds down. It's a proper balance of fuel out of the carb between low speed and high speed. You'll need to determine the possible causes.

If the chain saw has set unused for some time, might be a slightly restricted fuel flow. Check fuel filter. Or some gum or varnish in the carbs idle circuit and/or both high and low speed carb circuits.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

05-02-14, 01:59 PM   #3  
I'd also check/clean the air filter and sparkplug.

edit; oops, I see you already cleaned the filter

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-02-14, 06:07 PM   #4  
Might try backing out the mixture screws a tad.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IA

05-03-14, 10:11 AM   #5  
It can get serious with a lean mixture = piston and cylinder scoring. The lean mixture provides less oil for lubrication.

If you can't get the fuel air mixture taken care of and you have to use the saw, you'll need to use a heavier concentration of oil to gasoline in the fuel mix. If you're using 50:1 go to 32:1 to get more oil into the engine.

OH

05-03-14, 06:35 PM   #6  
check that the chain isn't too tight

Search this Thread