Poulan makes no noise when key turns

Old 05-06-14, 01:09 AM
Poulan makes no noise when key turns

I have a poulan 38inch cut riding mower. One day it stopped turning on so i jumped the mower with my car and it turned on. Now it makes no noise when i turn the key to start it. It used to make a slight clicking noise, next day it makes no noise when i turn the key. I tried to jump it again but i got nothing. I looked into the gas tank and say it was empty. I have just a quick question, will no gas make a power not even try to start. Like if the gas tank was empty and i had the mower hook up to my car to jump it, would the mower not even try to turn on, and would it not make any noise. If not then any ideas on whats wrong with my mower?
Ill put the stuff that happened to it on chronological order:
-Mower starts fine
-mower trys to turn on but fails
-mower engine spinning for about 2 seconds then stops and hear clicking when turning key
-engine stops turning, but still hear clicking
-clicking stops and hear nothing when the key turns
-jump mower, works fine
-next day, mower makes no noise when turning key, and does not respond to being jumped
no sound, no anything even when hooked up to my car battery to jump it. What could it be?
Ill admit something, im an idiot and within these 3 days or so ive probably turned the key about 50times total. So could i have killed the solenoid or killed the switch or battery so much that it would even be jumped? But if the solenoid was dead wouldn't i still hear clicking when the batter was being jumped? or am i wrong?
im not gonna lie, im a complete noobie when it comes to engines and the likes. So when you give me an answer please be thorough and give good directions. Thankyou!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-14, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
At first I would say you started out being out of gas and have a dead/bad battery. Depending on where you connected your jumper cables, how you jumped the solenoid to get it to start it is possible a component has died. You also could have a loose or corroded connection somewhere.

Old 05-06-14, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds a lot like loose or corroded connections to me as well.