Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn mower choke problem and stalling

CANADA

05-08-14, 04:17 PM   #1  
Lawn mower choke problem and stalling

Hi everyone,
My Honda lawn mower (hrx217hza) is having problems with auto-choke and starting this year. It take 5-6 attempts with the electric starter( fully charged)and 8-12 pulls with manual for a cold start. Even if it had been running for 30min. it would still take a few attempts to start. Also, the engine is always stuck at choke position even after I finish mowing the lawn( I can see the little lever going front-back-front-back). In normal operation, the lever is supposed to be at the front. I had the mower for 2 years now and it worked fine before. The only difference is that I forgot to empty the fuel tank so there was half a tank of fuel left from last season. The mower starts then stalls in a few seconds. So I drained the bad fuel and added fresh fuel. It still had problems, but it does not stall as often. The oil was also recently changed too . Another problem is that the mower stalls every time I move the throttle to the "Slow" position. It often stalls when I engage the blade too.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

05-08-14, 04:26 PM   #2  
Not my area of expertise but you may have gummed up a fuel line or something burning the old gas causing the engine to feel like it's never warmed up and running properly.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-08-14, 08:35 PM   #3  
Sounds like you have carburetor problems and the choke actuator may need cleaning as well, it is supposed to slowly come off choke when you pull the bar on the handlebar down.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AK

11-23-14, 05:17 AM   #4  
carburetor

Most of the time when a lawn mower or any small engine won't start the cause is, a problem with the gas or the carburetor.

Search this Thread