Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Husqvarna 372xp no start problem

MI

05-12-14, 07:47 AM   #1  
Husqvarna 372xp no start problem

I have a 2012 model Husqvarna 372xp (completely stock) that I bought from a neighbor lady whose husband died in a car accident last fall and she was selling all his tools in preparation to move to a condo. I know he took good care of his equipment (all his fuel had Sta-bil in it and he used the saw last September so fuel should not be stale) - the backback blower and weed whip I bought from her are also Husqvarna about the same age and run flawless - the 372xp does not want to run for me - it sounds like the kill switch is on as there is no life when I pull the recoil, just a dead "chug". If I remove the sparkplug and lay the plug on the jug I have a good spark, but when it is in the cylinder it acts like there is no spark. I am getting plenty of fuel (plug is wet when pulled out - I even tried a little carb cleaner in the spark plug hole in case the fuel was poor and it was still dead - no pop, no nothing! I did a compression test for curiosity and that showed 130 lbs with relief valve closed or 90 lbs if pressure relief valve pushed in so I have good compression. Any suggestions on what I can do to get it to run?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-12-14, 09:22 AM   #2  
If the plug is wet with fuel, I'd say it's flooded. If it's flooded with bad fuel, you will need to clear that out and replace the fuel in the tank with new and possibly clean the carb if it has varnished the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TN

05-12-14, 11:36 AM   #3  
Saw

Remove the air filter and crank with choke open and trigger not depressed.

Be sure the ignition switch is on.

MI

05-12-14, 01:39 PM   #4  
I have removed the plug, turned saw upside down and blown out the cylinder with the air compressor so it is dry in the cylinder and then re-installed new Bosch WS7F spark plug. Air filter is already off from checking carb for any loose debris (was clean) - pulled recoil with choke open (ignition switch in the (outer) run position...nothing - no pop - doesn't even try pop the decompression button up. For grins I then closed the choke just to see if it would happen to fire off, nope. If I had not seen a good consistent spark I would bet money it was a lack of spark...I am stumped. Is it at all possible that the spark is either too weak to fire or that for some reason I would loose spark when the plug is installed?

MI

05-14-14, 01:49 AM   #5  
Got it started!

It appears the idle screw on carb had moved to a decreased position. I had someone hold the throttle wide open while I pulled the recoil and it fired right up. As long as a little pressure is kept on the trigger the saw will stay running, but as soon as you let go of the trigger the idle is too slow and it dies - even if I have cut several sections of firewood and warmed the saw completely - as soon as you let off the trigger it dies and will require holding the trigger again to get it started. Given what I found which screw do I need to adjust and do I turn CW or CCW so I don't have to hold the trigger to start/hold a steady idle?

IL

05-14-14, 08:10 AM   #6  
Turn the screw cw just a liitle at a time until you get it to start but not so much as to have the chain turning.

Search this Thread