Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Reverse Interlock Location

OH

05-12-14, 10:53 PM   #1  
Reverse Interlock Location

My 2014 MTD Zero Turn mower does not stop the blades from spinning when in reverse.
I need to find the interlock so I can connect it.

Sears Model #: 17AKCACS099
MTD Model#: 247.204110
Serial #: 1A304H20227

Sponsored Links

TN

05-13-14, 06:47 AM   #2  
Tractor

Here is the Owners Manual:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...r-Parts-manual

OH

05-13-14, 07:51 PM   #3  
The owner's manual was no help.

The owner's manual was no help.
Actually I want to disconnect it.
I thought that I would be better off asking the question in reverse.

Forum Topic Moderator

OH

05-14-14, 11:57 AM   #4  
Nice try furjaw. However, one of the basic rules of this site is to not defeat safety features - or explain how to possibly defeat them - for everyone's safety and security.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

TX

05-24-14, 05:08 AM   #5  
Reverse interlock location

I feel your pain furjaw, I have been using a ZTR over 25 years and this is the first model I have seen with this safty feature. Other models with Sears either do not have this or at least re-engage the blades when levers are retured to neutral or forward. Operating manual says this model is suppose to re-engage but it doesn't. I am also looking for a solution short of exchanging it for a different model. Good luck, would like to hear your solution to the problem.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

05-24-14, 05:51 AM   #6  
I can't get the images to load. Is this a ZTR or a riding mower with articulating rear wheels? A ZTR does not disengage the blades in reverse.o

TX

05-24-14, 06:33 AM   #7  
Reverse interlock location

This is a ZTR and it does disengage, model #247.204110, 42" cut, 22hp. In my shopping for a ZTR this is the first I am aware of this feature on any ZTR. The manual says it re-engages but it does not. Repair/service man said manual is wrong, live with it or change models.

GA

05-24-14, 09:27 AM   #8  
Wow, I would hate to think my Kubota ZD21 would disengage the blade every time my control on either side went past neutral i'd never get anything cut. 57 blueberry bushes, 40 fruit trees, 3 grape arbors, all the time pulling and pushing control levers. While I would not advocate bypassing any lock out, I can only suggest contacting the manufacturer to see if there was a workaround.

TX

05-24-14, 12:18 PM   #9  
Actually you can move either lever in reverse without a lockout, just not both at the same time. It allows going around trees and bushes but if you go in reverse for even a foot the blades disengage. Its not so bad but still a pain. Retailer says no work around. But talking to them about swapping a model sitting next to mine that doesn't have this feature. Hope this is not the future of all ZTRs.

OH

06-06-14, 10:46 AM   #10  
I don't see this feature going away.

My Troy Bilt has it. Plus the engine shuts off if you get off of the seat. Plus it won't start unless the parking brake is on. Plus, no start if the deck is engaged...

Pretty soon I'll be required to wear a helmet to cut my grass

GA

06-06-14, 12:30 PM   #11  
Well, you get off your seat with the blades spinning, you could get hurt. Too much strain on the engine if the blades are engaged while trying to start. Some safety features are there to protect you from yourself, so you have to live with them. You don't wear a helmet to cut grass??? Do you at least wear safety glasses? Do you wear hard soled shoes? Sometimes you make choices. Sometimes you escape.

TN

06-06-14, 01:15 PM   #12  
Keep the Safety Feature

Read a news piece the other day where a man had his mower in reverse and backed over a four year old child and killed it with the blades running. The child was his grand-child and was bringing him a drink of water. Lack of supervision but a sad story.

Search this Thread