issue with B&S 15.5 hp engine after replacing head gasket

Old 05-13-14, 12:02 PM
issue with B&S 15.5 hp engine after replacing head gasket

Has anyone had this issue:

B&S 15.5 hp
serial 28S707
model no. 1150-E1
year is 99

Replaced the head gasket because engine was blowing oil. Fixed the oil problem just fine. Used the mower and worked fine until the very end of cutting when the engine died. Low on gas so figured that was the issue. NICE TRY...
Engine turned very slow just like valves were out of adjustment. They were so re-did them. Engine started fine but after getting hot I get the slow turning cranking again.
I've done this job for customers and myself a thousand times without issue but this one has me stumped. I've pulled the valve cover and re adjusted the valve clearance at least three more times with the same results. Starts fine the first time but gets hot and it struggles to start again.
Anyone run into this before...
Thanx for any advice Guys...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-14, 09:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are the valves out of adjustment every time you go back and adjust them?

Old 05-14-14, 07:32 AM
It seems like it,Cheese. Now this morning I started it just fine and ran it all over the yard to get it hot and it runs and starts just fine. Go figure. I don't what's going on. Maybe you scared it for me, Thanx.

Old 05-14-14, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heh, who knows. Look for a grey color in the oil, the camshaft may be wearing down rapidly. I have seen some do that. I don't know what causes it, but once it starts, it doesn't take long before a lobe is worn down completely.

Old 05-14-14, 09:09 AM
Thanx, Cheese. I'll look for that in the future of this thing. It's my own machine so I'll keep an eye for that also.. Who knows it's going to rain all week so it'll be awhile 'fore I can really test it out again. I've done these head gaskets a lot lately but never had any kind of issue with this.I was hoping you would join in on this 'cause I respect your advice. I just started my own part time shop when I retired. I don't know about you but I get a lot of carb work and not much engine work 'cause parts are out of sight here and people are going with engine replacements(Honda clones) instead of fixing.

Old 05-14-14, 09:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I get tons of carb work. Most engine work is head problems and camshafts on the newer single cylinder briggs engines. Those cams are made of some really soft junk metal. You can carve it with a pocket knife. These are the ones that get the worn out lobes. I say I don't know what causes it to wear, but I think I do. The valves get loose and the lobe begins to "slap" the lifter, marking the lifter and the cam lobe. One the lifter surface gets marked up enough, it abraids away at the cam lobe and wears it down in no time. You can adjust it and the problem goes away for a short while, but then requires another adjustment, and another, and finally it gets to the point where the valve barely opens and the engine won't run at rpms greater than off idle.

This same cam is also notorious for having the compression release mechanism fall out.