electrical issue with cub cadet

Old 05-17-14, 12:36 PM
electrical issue with cub cadet

I have an 2008 cub cadet LTX 1046 with a Briggs 23 HP. The unit has 157 hours on it. With a full charge a new battery won't spin the engine more than twice. The volts drop to 8.5 when I try and spin it. I adjusted the valves, which was needed, and the same thing happens. Now if I disconnect the pos terminal and put a meter from the pos post to the disconnected terminal it reads 1.15 volts, leading me to believe I have a ground fault in the positive side. So first , is my thinking correct? If so the fault would have to be in the solenoid or the keyswitch (or wire inbetween) yes???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-14, 01:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The first thing that I would do is to pull the battery and have it load tested. New does not always equal good - especially with these small batteries.

If good and then charged from a remote source (charger) then start checking for a drain or an onboard charging failure.

Old 05-17-14, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
If you had a major drain you would have measured closer to battery voltage.
There is a very slight drain there with your measurement of around a volt. That slight drain could be normal and disappear with the charging of an electronic module.

Anyway.... this would not be your starting problem.

Old 05-17-14, 05:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Actually, when you try to start it, and your voltage drops to 8.5 volts, that is a load test and would indicate bad cells in the battery.