Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Oil dumping into carb

MS

05-18-14, 06:45 PM   #1  
Oil dumping into carb

Hi guys
Ok, I have a question about oil dumping into a carb.
On a Ariens rider with the brigs 19.5hp engine:
Mower sat for a couple years. Changed batteries, added gas, and it ran great, except float was s a little sticky (it would overflow). Parked it for a couple months, went to start it and it was dumping oil ( and i mean dumping, you might could have poured it as fast, but I doubt it) into the breather.
Finding a trustworthy mower mechanic in my area is impossible ( an example would be my Husqvarna 60" commercial zero turn with a Kohler 25 engine was lacking power. Took it to the authorized Husky service center and they tell me it has metal in the oil and needs engine replaced. How they found this out, i'm not sure as the oil level was the same and it had not been changed nor the filter removed. Regardless, I went and got it and a friend noticed the muffler had come apart inside and was blocking the exhaust hole. I cut it out and it runs great again).
I could give more examples, but it's getting to be a long post already lol

My research on this subject (back to the Ariens) shows most say a head gasket.
This mower might have a total of 10 hours on it, if that. It did sit for 2 years, hence the sticky float. Amazingly, besides the float sticking, the carb, tank, etc, were fine, as far as I could tell, running-wise. It didn't miss, cut-out, or anything.
I can't believe the head gasket is bad.
A friend has a ExMark zero turn with a Brigs 21 or maybe 23 hp engine and 127 hours. Always maintained per recommended schedule. His sat for a year or so and he said his is doing the same thing. Suggestions?
BTW, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

IA

05-18-14, 06:57 PM   #2  
Anytime you say float was sticking you look at gas in oil = thin oil and overfilled = oil blowing back up the breather tube into the carb. At that point you have to end the sticky float = clean and /or replace. Then change the oil before running. If you have a spin on oil filter, replace that.

All of this applies to nearly all small engines.

Search this Thread