Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Weird linkage for Tecumseh H60 Craftsman branded engine

GA

05-19-14, 08:35 PM   #1  
Weird linkage for Tecumseh H60 Craftsman branded engine

Hi
I have a Tecumseh/Craftsman H60 engine with what seems like a separate lever for the throttle control cabling. I have a photo here of it. I cannot figure out what linkage wires I need (governor lever to throttle control plate unit rod is there).

Thanks
KT
Name:  h60 linkage.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  50.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

05-20-14, 09:23 AM   #2  
What type of machine is this? I'm assuming you just got this old machine and are now trying to make it work.

Is there a wire attached to the throttle arm on top of the carburetor?

GA

05-20-14, 06:06 PM   #3  
The wire was to hold the throttle steady. It wasn't such a good idea as it made the engine race like crazy and spew a little oil. Fortunately it ran until I chose to turn it off. I dodged a bullet this go-round. It is an old engine that worked until the carburetor cracked; I recarbureted it. Without the wire I put on the carburetor it would come on for 1/2 of a second.

I've always had trouble with linkages and carbies. Perhaps another sit-down with the book and taking it "from the top" would do me some good. Just that the throttle control cable goes to a lever on the control plate that seems to rotate loosely until its threaded screw bumps into the lever connected to the governor.

Name:  h60 linkage b.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  51.2 KB

Attached Images

Last edited by kturnerga; 05-20-14 at 06:18 PM. Reason: picture

Group Moderator

NC

05-21-14, 10:27 AM   #4  
So, you're not using the governor and just controlling the throttle directly. Something I've only done on racing engines. I never had trouble when there is a load connected to the engine but be careful playing with it if there is no load connected as it can quickly rev fast enough to break something, often the connecting rod. It was funny that when racing go karts it was rare to blow an engine during a race but you'd see people testing & revving their engines with the cart on a stand (no load). Ever few weeks you'd hear the clank and then cursing.

---

In many cases the throttle lever/cable does not go to the throttle arm on the carburetor. It goes to a separate lever that is also connected to the governor and there are usually some springs involved.

When the engine is off the governor arm moves the throttle to the full open position. Once the engine begins turning the governor moves the throttle to the idle position. There a small screw adjusts how closed the throttle can go to set the idle speed. Then when you advance the throttle you basically fight the governor. The faster the engine turns the harder the governor pulls to close the throttle. Search one line for images for "small engine throttle linkage" and many, many different ways will pop up. You'll just have to come up with the parts and a method that will work with your engine.

Search this Thread