Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman riding mower steering issue

TX

05-27-14, 05:29 PM   #1  
Craftsman riding mower steering issue

Hello and thank you for the boards. I have 2 riding mowers at my little farm. I found a ton of useful info in this older post about craftsman steering:
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ou...g-problem.html
I am using that info to fix the unusable loose steering on a Poulan mower that was given to me. I though at the same time I could try to tighten up the steering on my best gal Craftsman 1000.
It is model number 917.271832
The steering has about 4 inches of free play. It does not have the same mechanism as the Poulan or Craftsman in the older thread. The sector gear is horizontal. In looking at the gears, they did not show obvious wear like the Poulan.
What parts, if any, would if need to tighten it up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-27-14, 11:23 PM   #2  
Work the steering back and forth while observing the moving parts to see where the slack is occurring. This will lead you to the parts needing replacement. It might just be a loose nut on the drag link.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

05-28-14, 04:19 AM   #3  
Thanks Cheese. I'll look at it in a couple of weeks when I am up there.

MD

06-27-14, 08:00 AM   #4  
Craftsman 42 Inch 917-258492 Steering issue

My 15 yr old son, very motivated to get a neighborhood lawn service going bought an older tractor. Ive been trying to help him the best I can to get this tractor up and working. Its a bear to turn to the right and it will only go so far and it starts to skip.... Any suggestions. Ive read just about every post thats how we got this far.

Help!!!! Replaced Steering Shaft, Shaft Support, Sector Gear.

Examing the front Axle It appears to be tilted back the Housing that is holding it appears to be pushed back. Could this be the issues? Can I remove the Front Axle and bang that piece back into place?

Last edited by Randy1122; 06-27-14 at 08:23 AM.

MD

06-27-14, 11:59 AM   #5  
More info

Any Chance that the previous owner installed the wrong size Drag Link #130468 when turning to the right it causes the Shaft Pitman to hit the Steel Support Housing?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-27-14, 04:24 PM   #6  
If the frame is bent, that's going to be difficult to fix. It will have some to do with the hard steering, but not the skipping. Did you replace the bushings in the steering sector?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread