Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl HS 45 hedge trimmer won't run

VA

05-28-14, 05:28 AM   #1  
Stihl HS 45 hedge trimmer won't run

I can start the engine, but it won't accelerate to operating RPM. Trimmer is 4 years old but probably has less than 10 hrs. of use. The fuel filter is not clogged because I can blow back through the fuel line with no problem. I believe there's a small hole somewhere along the fuel line. The fuel bulb only sucks air and will not fill with gas. I plan to order a new line and filter. Now for the questions. Does Stihl's fuel line part no. 4228 358 0800 extend from the carb, into the tank and attach to the filter? Is it a single piece of molded line that seals at the tank with a molded in grommet? In the parts diagram for the trimmer, there's another straight piece of fuel line (the diagram states it is part of a kit) that enters the tank through a grommet; is it the tank vent line? Is this the feed line for the bulb, or does the bulb fill from the line that feeds the carb? I could probably sort most of this out on my own if the parts diagrams were a bit larger/clearer. FYI, the spark arrestor screen in the muffler is clean, as is the air filter, foam and felt. All indications point to a fuel starvation situation. It seems like the bulb will draw in just enough fuel for the engine to start and idle for a brief period, but once you give it the slightest bit of throttle it will die.

Thanks for any and all follow-ups

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-28-14, 09:43 AM   #2  
Try backing out the mixture screws 1/4 turn and see if it runs better. The check valve in the carburetor may be bad, causing your problems.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

05-28-14, 09:53 AM   #3  
Got it fixed

Well, I took the carb off, blew out all the passages, re-assembled, installed and it's running like it should. Like I said in the original e-mail, this 5 year-old unit probably has less than 10 hrs. of use, and it's always "winterized" according to the owner's manual. This trimmer was made in China, as is a lot of Stihl equipment. I don't think I will ever buy another Stihl product. I had bad luck with their handheld blower, and now the hedge trimmer. I've had much better luck with my Husqvarnar equipment--a chain saw and string trimmer. The string trimmer is 10yrs old this season and I've never had a single issue with it. My 20 year-old Shindawa backpack blower still starts and runs like a new one. Another issue I have with Stihl is the difficulty in locating parts lists. I don't mind patronizing dealers, I just hate to make a trip to get a part number and/or a part. It's much more convenient for me to shop online. The Stihl owner's manual encourages you to go to a dealer for just about all routine maintenance. Some of us have the tools and knowledge (with some support from forums like this one) to do most of the things needed to keep our equipment in good repair. Pardon me for venting

Search this Thread