Pressure Washer Problem

Old 05-28-14, 07:50 AM
Pressure Washer Problem

Hey guys!

My pressure washer last week took a dump on me so now Im In the market for another one. I see that Home Depot has the Dewalt pressure washer for $599. (DEWALT Honda GX200 3400-PSI 2.5-GPM Gas Pressure Washer-DXPW3425 at The Home Depot)

And they also have this one (DEWALT Honda GX270 3800-PSI 3.5-GPM Gas Pressure Washer-DXPW3835 at The Home Depot)

The second one has a bigger engine, higher PSI pump, offers more GPM, longer hose and is $200 more.. I think these extras are worth the $200. But Im a newbie and open to suggestions and advise
I plan to use the pressure washer and do side jobs every now and then cleaning houses, driveways etc. Maybe do a few houses a month.
After reading about how more GPM greatly affects the cleaning, I am leaning more towards the Dewalt 3835 model. The 3425 model has 8500 Cleaning Units. The 3835 model has 13300 Cleaning Units. That's a HUGE difference. I also see that the 3835 model has a "adjustable unloader" Does this mean I can adjust the pressure downwards if I want too? I understand I cant go above the 3800PSI mark without damaging the pump, but being able to go lower will be great!
Also, if the pressure is adjusted downwards, do you loose the GPM rate that the pump puts out?
The reason I would want to lower the PSI is because I have a EZ Clean surface cleaner that is rated at MAX 3300 PSI/ 3GPM. Yes, I know they are frowned upon. But it has worked well for me and I like it
If the pressure is NOT adjustable, would I be better off going with the 3425 model and using my EZ Clean Surface cleaner, OR getting the 3835 model and then shelling out some extra $$ and getting a real Surface Cleaner for a few hundred bucks?

I called Dewalt this morning and the guy just quoted what was in the manual. If you want lower pressure, hold the tip of the wand further away from the object you are cleaning. Really? He didn't even know what a Adjustable Unloader was. Here are more Specs from the dewalt site (DXPW3835 Pressure Washer 3800 PSI @ 3.5 GPM, Direct Drive | DEWALT Tools)
Im guessing if this model is able to adjust the PSI, I would need to get a pressure gauge to adjust the PSI back to 3800?

Last edited by oif2003; 05-28-14 at 09:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-14, 09:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think both units you are considering are good units, but the second one with the higher gpm, longer hose, adjustable unloader is worth the extra bux. I think you will be very pleased. The adjustable unloader does decrease pressure, but I'm not sure how that affects the gpm. I would tend to think it decreases with the pressure.

Old 05-28-14, 09:59 AM
Thank bud! Do you know anyone I can call or email that would have answers to my questions? Im still shocked Dewalt had no clue..

Old 05-28-14, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Well, since the water has to flow through the same diameter nozzle, then if the pressure decreases, so does the flow. The way to increase flow would be to put a nozzle with a larger diameter orifice on the wand. Increasing flow decreases pressure though, so you might have to turn the unloader back up. A gauge would give you a better idea of what is happening.

Old 05-28-14, 10:21 AM
I understand.... kinda lol.. When the company says their machine is XXXX PSI/ XX GPM, what nozzle do they use to determine that? 0 degree, 15 degree, 25 degree, 40 degree?

Search this Thread