1 yr. old Toro Recycler lawnmower sputters and dies

Old 05-28-14, 06:46 PM
1 yr. old Toro Recycler lawnmower sputters and dies

This year when starting up my relatively new Toro Recycler lawnmower it continually sputters and eventually will die. What could be causing this? Put in new fuel, let it run for a while and it sounded great. Put it on the grass and it started to sputter and die. Finally got to a point where it wouldn't even start. Would appreciate any help. Totally frustrated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-14, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
If you let it sit through the winter with gas in it I suspect a jet or passage in the carburetor is clogged. It get's enough fuel to run at idle or with no load but can't supply enough fuel when there is a load. I'd remove, disassemble and thoroughly clean the carburetor and see if that helps.

Old 05-29-14, 06:44 PM
Thanks for your input. Unfortunately I'm a single woman and have no idea how to disassemble, clean and reassemble a carburetor. I don't even know where it is or how to get it out. My late husband use to do this kind of stuff. Can't afford to pay anyone either. The mower seems to work better when I don't engage the front wheel drive so I guess I'll just push it for now. Thanks again.

Old 05-29-14, 07:01 PM
Go to your local auto parts or walmart and get a bottle of SeaFoam and dump about 2oz in your fuel tank, fill it the rest of the way with fresh fuel, it should clean itself as it runs and all will be ok. Have a good one. Geo