Pull start on trimmer does not engage

Old 05-29-14, 03:32 PM
Pull start on trimmer does not engage

I just put a new starter spring and starter in my Troy Bilt TB525CS trimmer. The cord retracts ok, but something is not engaging. There is almost no resistance. Sometimes I hear and feel the piston moving other times the pull sting just makes a tinny clanking sound as I retract it. What else could it be?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-14, 04:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You'll have to open it and see... could just be a stuck ratchet pawl.

Old 05-29-14, 11:32 PM
I have had it open about 6 times. The pawls are both springy and operate cleanly. I can see the clutch and clutch drum spin, but only sometimes. I am wondering it I somehow seated the flywheel too deeply on the shaft and now the pawls are not reaching into the sprocket to turn the flywheel.

Any way I could have over seated the flywheel?

Old 05-30-14, 12:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't think so. Check the plastic catches on the cranking spool where the cord winds up. They might be worn down where the pawls catch on it.

Old 05-31-14, 08:17 PM
No, it can't be the plastic that is worn down, as I said, I replaced the starter coil and the starter spring. The plastic teeth the pawls engage are brand new.

I pulled the fly wheel and the key looks healthy. The flywheel does not appear to be loose or damaged.

Old 05-31-14, 10:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you replace it with part number 753-05435?

Old 06-02-14, 04:19 PM
Yes, I replaces it and the spring below it. When I pull the starter rope it sounds as if the pawls are skipping across the plastic gear on the part you just mentioned.

Old 06-02-14, 06:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm at a loss. If the catches on the starter are not worn and the pawls aren't sticking... could they be bent a little and not sticking up enough to engage the starter well?

Old 06-02-14, 07:52 PM
Sounds like you might have the starter rope round up on the spool the wrong way.Hope this helps.

Jerry

Old 06-03-14, 04:10 PM
:beers: RESOLUTION ! :beers:

Cheese. It seems that about the time you were posting you last idea that the pawls were not engaging because they were somehow bent too low, I was outside bending those little mothers up to reach deeper into the pulley sprocket. They are a little corroded looking, and a little oily, but I used a cat's paw to bend the tags upward.
Replacing the plastic cover and pulling the starter rope confirms that they now seat deeper.
I was out of gasoline, so I ran down at noon today and got some. I rebuilt the carb and PB tuned the plug and piston. Fired up on the 7th pull- not bad after a season at rest. Runs like new... REALLY.

Great minds and all that. If there is a sticky for non-engaging pull starts, this idea that the pawls can go limp and hang too low to engage should be added to the sticky. I'm out $60 in parts, but it is more satisfying than selling the TB5325CS in a garage Sale.

Thanks for all input.

Old 06-03-14, 08:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad to hear it's fixed! Thanks for the update.