Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

OHH50 Tecumseh governor initial setting question

FL

05-30-14, 06:59 AM   #1  
OHH50 Tecumseh governor initial setting question

The question is when setting the governor shaft / arm position does the governor shaft get held in the fully clockwise or counterwise position while tightening the governor arm (while holding the throtle plate fully open)?

that is one of the shortest questions I have ever typed ;-)

Sponsored Links

CO

05-30-14, 07:36 AM   #2  
When you move the throttle plate to wide open note the direction the shaft moves. That is the direction to move the governor shaft & hold it when tightening the governor arm.

FL

05-30-14, 07:46 AM   #3  
The arm is removed right now but that process should still apply I think. If that is the case, moving the throttle plate to wide open would push the top of the arm to the left which would rotate the shaft counterclockwise.

I'll give that direction a shot, the service manual doesn't address shaft direction that I can find and I had conflicting answers elsewhere. Never been led astray here though :-) .
Sometimes it is the seemingly easy things that take the longest...I'll probably be back with a carb question later. Thanks

Group Moderator

NC

05-30-14, 09:20 AM   #4  
In most cases when the engine is off the throttle is in the wide open position. When the engine begins turning the governor moves the throttle to the idle position. In this way if the engine starts to die the throttle naturally opens to rev it up. As the rpm's come up the governor has power to close the throttle.

When you advance the throttle lever you pull a lever which is connected via a spring to to the governor and basically fight the governor. The governor is always trying to close the throttle and the faster the engine turns the more strength it has to close the throttle. The spring tension from your throttle command gets balanced against the strength of the governor to close the throttle. As you move the throttle lever that balance point changes and you get the engine to run at different rpm's.

FL

05-30-14, 11:39 AM   #5  
well that makes perfect sense. thanks so much. I knew how they worked mechanically but for some reason couldn't clear up the picture in my mind on how to adjust for throttle actions. I read that and it all came clear. My throttle spring wasn't providing enough tension to overcome the governors action of closing the throttle.

Search this Thread