Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hydrostatic Mower locked

IL

05-31-14, 04:29 PM   #1  
Hydrostatic Mower locked

Hi All,

My Yard Machine hydrostatic lawn mower is locked up. It's old, but the model number has been removed so I'm unsure how old. It's about a 42" deck.

The problem is the hydrostatic transmission. The engine cranks very slow and won't start and even in neutral the wheels won't move. I traced the hydrostatic lock lever to the transmission by removing the battery and the floating battery compartment under the seat. It moves another bar which goes directly into the transmission. The lever moves, but I don't know what it does inside the transmission. With a wrench I can turn the fly wheel on top of the transmission in both directions.

I did notice some oil or some type of fluid on the left side of the deck that looks relatively fresh after I began working on it. There is a tube running up near the lock lever that has a red cap on it, but I don't think it's a button as it's hidden under the center panel.

It sat in my garage all winter, but the problem began before winter. I've been using a different older lawn mower, but I've decided to try and fix this one.

Any ideas on how to unlock/unfreeze it?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-31-14, 10:35 PM   #2  
Hydro transmissions don't roll in neutral, the relief valve must be actuated. Also, this shouldn't affect the way the engine cranks... What is making you point at the transmission? Does the transmission belt loosen when you press the brake/clutch in?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IL

06-01-14, 02:35 PM   #3  
It does not loosen! Now I just need to fix that problem - at least it means it's unlikely to need transmission work.

IL

06-01-14, 03:00 PM   #4  
I see no connection to the idler pulley besides the spring and belt. Is it missing a part? The clutch rod has a 1 hole pipe/wire hanger connected to nothing hanging loose on it. I suspect it connects something to the idler pulley.

IL

06-01-14, 03:09 PM   #5  
The design of the idler pulley is similar to this diagram with pulley 14 being fixed and 22 have a spring attached to it pulling it tight against the belt. I called 22 the idler pulley.

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/MP16/M..._UN01NOV96.gif

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-01-14, 04:26 PM   #6  
There were a few models that had tension full time on the transmission belt. It sounds like yours is one of them. If so, and if you suspect the transmission is keeping the engine from turning, then pop the belt off one of the pulleys and see if the engine will crank.

God bless!

IL

06-05-14, 01:51 PM   #7  
I removed 1 pulley so it cranks now, but it still won't start. It cranks rapidly for about 3 secs and then stops. It then turns maybe once when I try again unless I wait for about 30secs first. I removed the air filter, but that had no affect. I also checked the spark plug and it does provide a good spark so I think it must be a fuel problem.

The engine is a B&S 16.5hp Twin II model 42A707

Last edited by smileyill; 06-05-14 at 03:50 PM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-05-14, 10:43 PM   #8  
It cranks 3 seconds, then stops? Sounds like a bad battery is on the list of problems.

God bless!

Search this Thread