Mantis Tiller Won't Start

Old 06-01-14, 07:06 AM
Mantis Tiller Won't Start

Hi All,

I was using my Mantis tiller (it's about ten years old) last week and while tilling it just quit running.

Over the last week or so I have replaced the fuel lines, fuel filter, spark plug, kill switch wire and cleaned the carb with no luck. Last night I put on a new carb and it still won't start. The coil seems alright, when you pull the plug and ground it against the engine block there is a blue spark.

Any suggestions? It's a simple engine and I'm running out of pieces to replace. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-14, 07:45 AM
Do you have a primer bulb or just a choke?

Also, how are you holding the throttle when trying to start?

Old 06-01-14, 10:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What is the compression of the engine?

Old 06-01-14, 11:23 AM
There is a primer bulb. I haven't been touching the throttle while trying to start it.

I don't know the compression of the engine either.

Old 06-01-14, 12:16 PM
On a cold start, press the primer bulb three times, then half choke and throttle fully open. See if that will start it.

Old 06-01-14, 12:50 PM
Yeah eventually it did start after I tried your suggestion but it would stop as soon as I took my finger off the throttle.

What's the next step?

Old 06-01-14, 02:27 PM
So it just doesn't idle or it stops with any throttle position other than fully open?

It sounds like you just need to set the new carb up. Can you post a picture of the carb with the side that has the adjusting screws on it?

Old 06-01-14, 05:35 PM
Here's a picture of the carb from Amazon. I was having trouble getting it started just now even with the throttle open and then the pull cord broke.

Regardless, here is the carb.

Name:  Carb.jpg
Views: 4752
Size:  21.9 KB

Old 06-02-14, 06:37 AM
Turn the two top screws in until you feel them seat. Don't put a lot of pressure on them or it can damage the seat. Then turn both out 1 1/2 turns.

Then, turn the bottom screw clockwise a full turn to start with. Get it started and keep adjusting it until it will just keep running. The idle may be faster than normal, but leave it there.

The upper screw on the right is your low speed mixture screw and the upper left one is the high speed mixture screw.

With the engine running turn adjust the Low speed (Upper right) for max rpms. Normally you turn it in to increase and out to decrease as it leans or makes a richer mixture.

Then with the throttle wide open adjust the High speed screw for max rpms.

Now go back to the low speed screw and repeat the adjustment you did the first time. Except once you get max rpms turn the screw back out about 1/16 or what it takes to get a slight drop in rpms.

Now reset the high speed screw in the same way with the throttle wide open, get max rpms and finally turn it back out 1/16 or whatever it takes to get a slight drop in rpms. The engine should accelerate quickly at that setting.

Lastly go back to the lower screw and adjust it in/out until you get the tiller just barely turning over. That screw is just a throttle opening screw, not a mixture screw.

** That type of priming bulb is for charging the carb with fuel and purging air from it rather than injecting fuel straight into the carb throat. You can pump it ten times. Usually about five will work.

From there use full choke/full throttle for completely cold engine and half choke full throttle for all other starts.

Old 06-03-14, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all the info.

As I said, the pull starter rope broke. I managed to replace that today but it wouldn't start for a long time. After pulling for a good half an hour it finally started again. It was smoking like crazy and I never could get it adjusted to where it would idle without the throttle depressed.

I got it re-started probably five times before it quit in a cloud of smoke and now I can't get it started again. I'm starting to wonder if this thing is a lost cause.

Old 06-03-14, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the carb is flooding really bad, maybe you got a bad one.

Search this Thread