Honda Harmony Mower-Self propel is WEAK

Old 06-01-14, 10:24 PM
Honda Harmony Mower-Self propel is WEAK

I have a 1995 Honda Harmony 215 that I bought a year or so back, oldie but a goodie. Worked great last season, but this season I noticed that the self propel is very weak. Both speeds still work (Low and High), and it engaged and disengages fine, but it just seems a lot slower than it used to be, and if I hold the handle and try to stop the machine there is little resistance to keep moving forward.

I flipped it on its side and can see that the cables to the transmission all seem to function as they should. I can also see that the belt is connected, but couldn't tell if it was loose or not. If I manually spin the wheels it makes that ratcheting sound as well.

I'm completely new to Honda mowers, what is my first step to diagnose?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-14, 11:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think I would start with finding out if the belt is in good shape and tight.

Old 06-01-14, 11:28 PM
Any tips on how loose/tight the belt should be? Think the belt is slipping? How difficult is it to replace a belt if that is the cause?

Old 06-02-14, 08:50 AM
So I went out to check out the belt, visually it looks fine. Tension wise it feels tight, but not super tight and maybe had just a tiny bit of play in it if I pushed on it. How tight does the belt need to be?

Is it common to need a belt after almost 20 years of use, i'm guessing yes ? I've only owned it for one year so I have no clue how much its been used but I'm guessing a decent amount, but its in great shape and seems to be maintained so the belt may be a replacement already.

Old 06-02-14, 09:30 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: handyfrank

Alternate possible causes.

Might not the belt. Engine speed is a factor. Is the engine running as fast as it use to? Realize you do not have a small engine tachometer but does engine sound like it is at the same running speed as it use to be?

Re-Check belt. It should not look dry nor glazed. (Shinny) Should be black with no marks that could indicate minor slipping or slippage.

My 2 Cents ()

Regards & Good Luck. Sharp Advice.
25 year Vocational Small Engine Tech. Web Site Host, Forums Monitor and Multiple Topics Moderator.

Old 06-02-14, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the input Sharp Advice.

The engine speed sounds the same, still revs up nicely and to speed I would say. I have a tach I could use to check it, but I'm pretty good at noting a different in RPM and this one sounds good.

I'll check the belt again. Was hard to see more than a little bit of it under there with the cover on and all. Anyone know the part number on the belt, I want to see how much it is. If it isn't too much i'll probably change it just to see if that's the easy fix.

Do any parts behind the wheels go bad or get worn, gears or anything like that? It doesn't make any odd ticking noises or sound like any gears are skipping or anything like that, so i'm still betting it is something to do with the belt.

Old 06-02-14, 08:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd put my bet on the belt given your descriptions.

Last edited by cheese; 06-03-14 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-02-14, 09:01 PM
Thanks Cheese.

Any tips or instructional on how to get to the belt? Do I need to remove the blade, and then remove the shield cover? Can I then flex the transmission to loosen the tension and slide it on? Or is there more to it? Thought I saw a YouTube video way back, need to check there as well.

My mower model number that is stamped on the tag is HRM215-CM, the deck says Model SX, and I can see the remnants of another silver sticker that I think housed my serial number so that is gone. Was the serial stamped anywhere else on the blade deck to find? Ever hear of the CM model? I Googled it and found nothing.

Is this the proper replacement belt most times on these mowers? Part #22431-VE2-801

Old 06-03-14, 12:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not familiar with that mower to recall the answers off the top of my head. I think you can do it the way you described, but don't take my word for it. The silver sticker is the only place the numbers would be found. That should be the correct belt though.