Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman 32cc weedwacker dies within seconds

MO

06-03-14, 06:52 PM   #1  
craftsman 32cc weedwacker dies within seconds

Hi, all.

I have a 32cc craftsman weedwacker model 358.795560 that is about 10-12 years old. Towards the end of last season, I was unable to get it started, and since it was the end of the season, I kind of ignored it until this Spring. No surprise, it still didn't start (wouldn't even make any sounds like it was trying to start).

I replaced the spark plug and added new gas/oil, and still nothing. My brother-in-law, who's much handier than I, took it apart and saw that the fuel lines had disintegrated pretty badly. This caused the fuel filter to fall off, and the fuel line was likely sucking in parts of the disintegrated fuel lines. He took the carburetor apart and gave it a good cleaning (he said it was really clogged) and put in new fuel lines. After putting it back together, it would now start, but only run for about 5 seconds before it would shut off (the first time we got it started, it ran for about 10-15 seconds, but after that only about 5).

I thought it might be the fuel filter being clogged (even though it looked ok), so I took that off, but no difference (didn't want to go out and buy one if it wasn't the problem). I did notice, though, that if I left it on the ground, and when it sounded like it was about to die (after 3 seconds or so), if I pushed the primer bulb in, I could keep it running for another 3-5 seconds (so I could keep it running as long as I wanted, as long as I could keep pushing the bulb in about every 3 seconds and had the throttle all the way down).

After reading around on here, I thought it might be the muffler side of things, so I took it apart and got the muffler off. It didn't appear clogged at all, but I gave the screen a good brushing anyway and put it back together. When I tried starting it, it ran for about 60 seconds, as long as I kept it on full choke. Whenever I started moving the choke lever down towards half, it would start to die, and I would move it back up to full. Even with the throttle all the way down, this would happen. Well, it was working, even though I had to leave the choke on full, so I picked it up to start trimming some grass, and it died within about 10 seconds.

I realized that with the fuel filter off, the intake line was way up near the top of the tank and when I picked it up, the fuel probably went below it and caused it to stop. So, I used some needle-nose pliers and pulled the intake fuel line through the hole in the tank such that the opening for the line was down near the bottom of the tank. However, now it's back to what it was before -- it starts and runs for 5 seconds and then dies. An interesting tidbit is that pushing the primer bulb no longer will keep it running now for some reason.

Anyway, I'm at the end of ideas as to what I could do to get this thing working again. I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Sponsored Links

VA

06-03-14, 07:15 PM   #2  
Did your brother-in-law rebuild the carb while it was apart? There is a diaphragm in the carb that acts as the fuel pump. These can get hard and brittle and not operate properly

IA

06-03-14, 07:27 PM   #3  
If you have the new line on the filter, put the filter back on with enough line for the filter to drop to the bottom of the tank. The filter is what keeps it submerged in fuel and prevents it from pulling in the air at the top of the tank.

You'll need to put a complete kit in the carburetor along with the cleaning. The diaphragm for the pump and the fuel reservoir with the needle valve and port flaps degenerate over the years because of fuel type and just age. They get stiff and don't work like they used to, although they appear OK. As a rule, I would put a kit in those all position carburetors anytime I have them apart for cleaning if the kit parts in it are over a year old. Complete kits are about ten dollars or you can replace just the pump diaphragm for a few dollars less. I would do the whole kit.

What you have is a carb with the diaphragm too stiff to "flutter" with the crankcase pulse that drives it. So it can't pump fuel. The primer bulb serves to load the carb with fuel and purges the air from it, but the pump isn't working to fill it back up and the engine dies. You can usually keep them running with the primer bulb, but all it's doing is replacing the fuel pump in the carb with your finger.

When you get the kit in it, there is a recent post on this forum on a Mantis Tiller not starting. I put the set up tuning for a carb like yours for that poster. Use that procedure to do yours.

MO

06-04-14, 07:44 AM   #4  
Hey, guys.

Thanks for the quick responses! My brother-in-law didn't rebuild it, so I will get the kit and try to replace those parts. I still have the fuel filter off, with the fuel line down at the bottom of the tank, just still trying to eliminate that as a problem. If rebuilding the carburetor works, I plan on putting the fuel filter back on and replacing that if it causes it to stop working.

Thanks again,
Greg

MO

06-04-14, 08:02 AM   #5  
Sorry, another quick question. Where would I be able to find a carburetor kit that you're talking about? I looked at searspartsdirect.com and repairclinic.com, which is where I usually get parts for things like this, but both only appear to have the entire carburetor for around $40, no kit (or just the diaphragm).

Thanks,
Greg

IA

06-04-14, 10:14 AM   #6  
Any small engine place should be able to get the kit with the carb number alone. Air Cooled Engines in Winterset, Ia. could mail you one.

I would go ahead and put the filter back on that line, though to keep trash out of it while you're working on it.

MO

06-11-14, 10:45 PM   #7  
I called around and searched online, and the only repair kit I could find included only the diaphragm and not the other parts, and it was about $10. I found a brand new carburetor for $25, so I got that and installed it, rather than take the chance that the diaphragm alone wouldn't be enough, and it works great now.

Thanks for the help!
Greg

Search this Thread