cant get my craftsman riding lawn mower to start

Old 06-06-14, 08:39 PM
cant get my craftsman riding lawn mower to start

its been running great recently but it seems the engage lever that starts the blade to spin hasnt been working right. like to put the mower away i would have to turn mower off then disengage to stop the blade from spinning then turn mower back on and then drive it up under my tool shed roof. it seemed to still work so i lived with that. im thinking maybe now why it wont start is because the mechanism is still engaged, will a craftsman riding lawn mower start if the blade is engaged? if not what troubleshooting should i do, im pretty good at fixing stuff but i dont know where to start with this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-14, 10:01 AM
there's a kill switch associated with the blade engage lever. it shuts the engine off if you try to engage it while out of the seat (or something like that). that switch is probably faulty or dirty. located it, clean it, check for proper operation, etc. if still won't start, try jumping the switch with a jump wire (assuming a closed switch means blade off - you will have to verify) and see if it starts.

i just went through a similar issue, but mine was ultimately due to a bad starter solenoid (relay). that's not your problem if the motor cranks when you turn the key. if it cranks but doesn't start, it's one of the safety/kill switches.

Old 06-09-14, 10:36 AM
here's the wiring diagram for my tractor. this is for a craftsman 917.256xxx series tractor. it may be similar to yours. after studying this I can explain why mine was behaving the way it did. you can see how the seat switch is normally closed when not occupied, and how that ultimately grounds the (+) terminal of the ignition module (killing the engine) if either the clutch pedal is up or the blade lever (attachment clutch) is engaged. since the seat is the last in the series -- if you are sitting down the switch is open, then the other 2 switches don't matter they will not ground the ignition module by themselves -- so if you are sitting you can release the brake/clutch and engage the blades to mow your lawn....

find the 917 # from your tractor ID badge. probably under the seat. then google search for the image of the schematics. study them. should help you figure it out.

Name:  12ee81f2-56d9-4a49-82e5-7299d4900e88-bg1d.jpg
Views: 3468
Size:  44.3 KB

Old 06-12-14, 02:13 PM
thanks alot guys, the not starting was a dead battery, i put in a new blade engage cable and now when i go to disengage it does slow the blade down alot but doesnt stop it completely while down in deck area i removed all the old grass and i wd40'd the metal down there and i can see how the one pulley attached to the engage wire doesnt want to return to its position when disengaged. while under there i found what i think is a broken either spring return idler or a spring extension, could this be keeping it from disengaging and turning off the blade spinning?

you guys been real helpful thanks alot, really appreciate it

Old 06-12-14, 02:35 PM
yeh im looking here its definitely the spring return idler

Old 06-12-14, 02:58 PM
now im having trouble finding where this spring return idler goes

Old 06-12-14, 07:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Had a similar issue and it was a bent linkage in the undercarriage. Took a while to figure out, but dropped the deck and manually cycled it the mechanism on and off while observing. When you would disengage, it would hang up and not completely release and the blades continued to spin.

Old 06-19-14, 05:07 PM
yep that was it the spring idler spring , now when i disengage blade it actually stops, thanks everyone for the help