Mtd brake/gear problem

Old 06-07-14, 08:43 AM
Mtd brake/gear problem

Hi Guys, Wondering if you can help.

3 weeks ago i had the Distribution belt and the cutting belt replaced on a mountfield ride on mower. I dont have the serial number to hand but this is the mower Mountfield 1538 SD Spares - SPARES & PARTS. However since we have had it back its been nothing but a nightmare. The gears keep getting stuck in gear and yesterday the brakes failed. I have managed to sort the brakes by adjusting the brake nut but the gears are still hit and miss. One minute they are fine. The next they are getting stuck. For example it was running along fine, changing gears and reversing. Turned it off for a while then could not start it again as it was stuck in gear. Rocked the mower back and forth until the gear dislodged. It was then fine for a while, went to put it in reverse and it was stuck in third. After moving the gear stick back and forth I managed to get it in reverse where it decided to get stuck again. Etc etc etc

Also the clutch/break peddle seems a lot lower then it was before.

The garage is saying it is not due to their workmanship even though it was fine before the belts were changed.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-14, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not familiar with that brand mower, but generally when one is hard to shift, it's because the transmission belt is trying to pull and putting pressure on the gears.

Old 06-08-14, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the reply. Maybe its only a european model.

Is there an easy fix to this?

Old 06-08-14, 07:52 AM
I forgot to say that you can still move the gear stick when it is stuck in gear.