Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Push Mower Lower power/RPM

TX

06-07-14, 01:37 PM   #1  
Push Mower Lower power/RPM

I've been doing a bit of research on this issue and read over many of the threads in this forum, but have not found a solution.

Snapper Mower, Briggs and Stratton Engine 6.5 hp (model stamp: 123K02-0123-ET)

Problem: Mower has been loosing power over the last few months, to the point its not effectively cutting the grass. It chugs along, starts consistently doesn't quit unexpectedly. I used to be able to finish the whole lawn on one tank but now i need to refill at about the 75% mark, so it appears to be using more fuel.

Where i think my problem differs from others is that when I have the mower running, if i tilt the mower forward on its front wheels (yes i know not exactly the safest maneuver) to the point where it at about a 70 degree angle, after a few seconds, the engine roars back to life and the power is back where it used to be.

Attempted Fixes:
-- Governor Arm (everything appears in order)
-- Flywheel Key - replaced original wasn't sheared)
-- Spark Plug - Replaced
-- Fuel - tank drained and filled with new fuel.

Sponsored Links

MO

06-07-14, 03:26 PM   #2  
Try running it with the air filter removed to see it it makes a difference. Have a good one. Geo

Group Moderator

NC

06-08-14, 03:59 AM   #3  
You said you replaced the spark plug? Remove the new one and see what it looks like? Check the oil. Does it smell like gas? Is the oil level higher than what it should be? I'm wondering if you have a carburetor problem. Possibly the float is sunk causing it to flood the engine.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-08-14, 04:03 AM   #4  
if i tilt the mower forward on its front wheels (yes i know not exactly the safest maneuver) to the point where it at about a 70 degree angle, after a few seconds, the engine roars back to life and the power is back where it used to be.
It's safer to push down on the handle raising the front instead of the back - same effect. Better yet, pull the mower back so it's not in the tall grass.
I'd check the filter first, then what PD suggested.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread