Toro or John Deere walk-behind Lawn mower?

Old 06-09-14, 09:35 PM

Hi All,
I am looking in to buy a new lawn mower but need your help to decide which one I want. I live in a townhouse and my front and backyard are not that big, so a walk behind, non-self propelled, lawn mower is perfect for me. I am looking in to Torro Personal Pace Electric Start Walk Power Mower and a John Deere Model BG20493. (Self Propelled). They both have 6.75 hp, 190 cc B & G motor, and both are electric start.

Cons of Toro:
22" cutting width
Price. (30 dollar cheaper than JD)
Warranty (3 years vs 2 years JD)

Cons of JD:
Self Propelled.
JD Name.
Green Color.

Over all I am leaning towards Toro but I have no idea how good Toro Mowers are. Should I choose from these or should I go to Sears and buy a Craftsmen?? I will greatly appreciate your help on this one. Thank you all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-14, 06:17 AM
What have you been using in the past . . . . what are you replacing ?

Old 06-10-14, 09:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you considered an electric or a battery powered mower. Your neighbors will say thanks for the quiet.

Also no gas to store or oil to change.

Old 06-11-14, 10:50 AM

I don't have experience with either Toro or John Deere push mowers. I have gone through numerous relatively cheap lawn mowers and had the same problem with all of them. Most have really cheap wheels that become very wobbly. There is no way to tighten the wheels. I'm currently looking to replace a Sears Craftsman that runs OK, but the two front wheels wobble back and forth at 45 degree angles to the mower. All the self-propelled mowers seem to have ball bearing wheels, but very few push mowers do.

I have found a Honda push mower with ball bearing wheels that I'm considering buying. Another one that I've looked at on line is the Cub Cadet SC100 but I can't confirm if it has ball bearing wheels.

If anyone has a recommendation on a push mower with ball bearing wheels, please let me know.

Old 06-11-14, 12:44 PM
Go to HD or Wally world and buy the cheapest one they have the $149 special. It will cut the grass as well as the others and by the time you wear it out you will know a lot more about what your real needs are, push vs self propelled, front drive vs rear drive etc. If you have much of an angle on the property a front drive is useless going up hill. So if you are going to push forget the bells and whistles and get the lightest one you can find. Have a good one. Geo