Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Lawn Mower - Front Wheel Drive

TX

06-14-14, 02:47 PM   #1  
Craftsman Lawn Mower - Front Wheel Drive

CraftsMan Lawn Mower Photo by WyrTwister | Photobucket

My other post is about priming the engine . I received some good advice & will try it next week when I can find parts . Thanks ! :-)

Now , my next question . The front wheel drive is pretty much non exixtant , any more . has been getting weaker each season .

My guess is , at least , plastic gears are worn out ?

Am I close ? How much will the parts set me back ? How much hastle is it to rebuild ?

I do not want to get past the point of diminishing return on an old lawn mower ? Cost wise .

Thanks , :-)
Wyr
God bless

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-14-14, 02:51 PM   #2  
My stepson has a Craftsman self propelled mower and the plastic gears on his front wheels rarely last more than 2 yrs

The wheels used to be less than $15 each but I think the last time I checked at Sears they were $20 each. Just unbolt the old wheel and bolt on the new one.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Super Moderator

AZ

06-14-14, 03:08 PM   #3  
I like FWD mowers, but I never ever would buy one that uses the geared wheels. I had a Craftsman FWD big rear wheel for almost 15 yrs. Never had any issues with the drive. I think it used a belt to a "differential" mounted up front and it drove a splined axle that the wheels went on. I guess thats the way it worked anyway, I never did anything to it except check the diff for grease once or twice. I know the wheels weren't geared, had it turned up to clean out plenty of times.

Vic
"I sometimes wonder how some people ever made it to adulthood..."

FL

06-14-14, 03:29 PM   #4  
Hello again WyrTwister,

The wheels from Sears are listed at $15.16 each, When was the last time you checked/replaced the drive belt ?

I feel if the issue were worn stripped wheels they would vibrate and make noise, Is that happening ?

TX

06-14-14, 04:46 PM   #5  
Check the drive belt today . It is tight enough for both pulleys to spin .

Looking at a parts diagram on the sears site , looks to be a small gear driving teeth on the inner " ring " of the wheel ? I almost know the wheel is plastic . Is the small gear metal or plastic ? Does it usually need replacing , also ?

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

FL

06-14-14, 06:06 PM   #6  
Hello WyrTwister,

The gear is made of steel and not very prone to failure, The best thing to do is take the wheels off and inspect everything. Then purchase what you feel may need replaced.

Good Luck

TX

06-15-14, 03:38 AM   #7  
That is most likely what I will do . When the parts stores open Monday .

Thanks , :-)
God bless
Wyr
Happy Fathers Day

TX

06-15-14, 07:40 AM   #8  
I have a " donor parts " lawn mower that my boss gave me . It would not start .

I suspect his son used the oil / gas mix intended for the string trimmer ?

Last year , I cleaned on the carb & got it to run , sometimes . Would not start today . :-(

It has the same B&S engine as my Craftsman , and a lot of other parts are interchangeable .

Except it is rear wheel drive and the Craftsman is FWD .

Really needed to mow the back yard .

So I took the plastic wheels off the Craftsman . One was a real chore getting off . :-(

Pulled the rear drive wheels from the " donor " lawn mower . Which appear to be the same , except it is yellow plastic and the Craftsman wheels are white plastic .

They fit right on the Craftsman & I got most of the rear lawn mowed .

So , I need to check out pricing on 2 new wheels . The person that said the inner gears were metal ( steel ? ) was correct . Thanks !

Plus the air cleaner to carb gaskets from the other thread .

One more wheel question . What should I use to lube the spindle / shaft that the wheel fits on ? I use a mix of engine oil , STP & tranny fluid , same as I use on my press ?

Thanks again ,
Wyr
God bless
Happy Father's Day

FL

06-15-14, 09:29 AM   #9  
Hello WyrTwister,

Install the wheels dry, No lube. Lube will attract sand which will create a type lapping compound and wear the wheels out prematurely.

Good Luck

TX

06-16-14, 04:07 PM   #10  
Bought 2 new wheels . Still running the 2 used wheels from the " donor " lawn mower .

Also , may have gotten the priming problem working , too ! :-)

Praise the Lord ! :-)
Wyr
God bless

Search this Thread