Craftsman 16" Electric Chainsaw, gears stripped?

Old 06-16-14, 06:23 AM
Craftsman 16" Electric Chainsaw (316.341070), gears stripped?

Hi there... my first time posting here. This forum rocks, especially Cheese's input regarding the Craftsman riding mowers and their steering gear woes. Anyway...

I borrowed my neighbors electric chainsaw (craftsman model 316.341070) and was cutting a 7 inch maple tree, and the gears started making that grinding sound that others have described in this forum, and the chain stopped moving. When not under load, the chain will move. But it just quickly got worse and will not even cut a smaller branch now. Just prior to this grinding sound, there was a ticking or clicking coming from the gear area at the base of the chain bar. The unit was oiled with bar oil.

So I need to either fix this or replace it before my neighbor returns from his vacation! Is it likely this fabled plastic gear that others have talked about? Is it worth doing this repair? (the unit must be 5-8 years old by now, if not older.) I can get one from local Sears for $80.

Any suggestions on what part might have croaked, and also how to open up the unit and make the repair, would be appreciated.

Jerry

Last edited by JerMannSki; 06-16-14 at 06:31 AM. Reason: adding model number
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-14, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome, and glad you found some useful info!

It does sound like the gear stripped on your saw. I don't remember how easy it is to get to that gear, but I don't recall it being difficult the time or two I have looked at one. I don't know if it's worth the expense and effort versus the $80 new one. That's your call. If you have nothing but time and like to tinker, it might be worth it.

Old 06-16-14, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Cheese... any idea of which gear? I found a manual with a parts list and exploded view here:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...w-Parts-manual

#2 SPROCKET ASS'Y looked okay when I unscrewed the cover ass'y to take a quick look.
from your experience, is it more likely:
#27 GEAR BEARING ASS'Y

Again, thanks for your help!
Jerry

Old 06-17-14, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, #27 I think is the part I've seen stripped on these.

Old 06-17-14, 04:00 AM
Same as McCullouch?

Hi Cheese... SearsPartsDirect does not carry that part anymore. I found on Ebay an inner gear assembly for a McCullouch that has the same part number... think that is it? I could ask the seller...
McCulloch Electric Chainsaw Drive Sprocket Inner Gear 302855 6228 210104 New | eBay

thanks... Jerry

Old 06-17-14, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's the same number, I imagine it's the same. Looking at a closer picture of it, it doesn't look like what I was thinking of. Does it have gears on the inside? I'd take the unit apart and find out what is bad before ordering parts... you might find something else broken as well.

Old 06-23-14, 07:30 AM
Hi Cheese, I took it apart and the #27 Gear Bearing Assy is stripped. Everything else looks good except I need a new c-ring as that is stretched out from removal. I will check with the seller on ebay to see if it is same part.

For others needing guidance, here is how i took it apart:
note: if bar oil is full to top, remove cap and drain some off so chainsaw can sit on its left side without oil coming out filler hole.
1. unscrew plastic cover where you adjust chain tension.
2. loosen chain all the way and slip it off the end of bar then off gears. Remove bar.
3. Remove 8 screws holding housing on.
4. cut warning label on top of housing.
5. Remove one screw holding adjustment plate (chrome).
6. Remove bar oil reservoir cap, remove cover.
7. Use spring clip tool to remove C-ring that holds Gear Bearing Assembly, remove washer, remove gear.
8. replace oil filler cap, just in case you tip if over!

reverse to put back together. I had trouble getting chain tension adjusting cover to reinstall flush. have not worked that out yet. I am proud that i put this back together to wait for new part, instead of leaving it apart and loosing screws forgetting how it goes back together etc.

Last edited by JerMannSki; 06-23-14 at 07:42 AM. Reason: step #8
Old 06-23-14, 07:40 AM
Disassembled Craftsman Electric Chainsaw

Here is a photo after disassembly.
Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 3151
Size:  51.2 KB

Old 07-19-14, 01:24 PM
Old , new gear match

The McCullough part is an identical match. $25 plus shipping from lil redbarn on eBay.

Last edited by JerMannSki; 07-19-14 at 01:26 PM. Reason: No pic to show of new gear.
Old 07-20-14, 11:56 AM
Back together, not running!

Well, ,the part went in beautifully... its all cleaned up, but I get nothing when I try to run it! Any obvious thing I should check? Must be some safety interlock somewhere, hopefully mechanical, that is off. I hope it is not a bad switch now. Was running before the gear replacement!