Toro Recycler 20333 Starts and Runs. But when I try to push, it stalls

Old 06-16-14, 08:21 AM
Toro Recycler Push Mower starts then stalls

I have a 3 year old Toro self propelled mower and I have an issue with self propelling the mower. I replaced oil, air filter, spark plug and cleaned the carburetor. It runs as long as we want. In fact I mow the lawn without using the self propel feature and it worked fine too.

The problem is as soon as I try to push the mower using the self propel handle, the mower stalls.

Can some please help resolve this issue ?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-14, 08:25 AM
Toro Recycler 20333 Starts and Runs. But when I try to push, it stalls

I have a 3 year old Toro self propelled mower and I have an issue with self propelling the mower. I replaced oil, air filter, spark plug and cleaned the carburetor. It runs as long as we want. In fact I mow the lawn without using the self propel feature and it worked fine too.

The problem is as soon as I try to push the mower using the self propel handle, the mower stalls.

Can some please help resolve this issue ?

Old 06-16-14, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be looking at the cable to the deadman bar. I believe there have been problems like you're describing doe to that cable barely turning on the mower, and then when it moves when you push the handle forwards, it gives it just enough slack to turn the engine back off.

Old 06-16-14, 10:23 AM
Thanks cheese, In fact I looked into the area that you are talking about. When I push the handle down, the cable get pulled at the bottom so that it can grab the belt which connects with the shaft of the motor. Should I be looking into something special in that area ??

Should I tighten that cable which connects to the handle of the mower?
or
Should the belt be tightened ?? If so how ?

If not, what should I be looking to "FIX" ??

Anybody has a video or something which can guide me on tuning this ??

If it is too lose, why would it stop the engine? (This might be a stupid question, I'm not a mechanic). Should I open the black casing on the dead man bar to see anything ?

"and then when it moves when you push the handle forwards, it gives it just enough slack to turn the engine back off." I don't understand this piece. Please help

Appreciate your help!

Old 06-17-14, 12:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Many or most toro recyclers have the personal pace self propel feature. If your does, the handle pushes forward to engage the self propel. When this happens, the other cable may move enough to gain a small amount of slack which lets the switch it activates at the other end turn the mower off.

If so, a simple fix I have seen is to tie a knot in the cable itself to take up slack, but tie it in a pace that won't interfere with it passing through the cable housing.

Old 06-17-14, 07:00 AM
Thanks again cheese, I will try your tip this afternoon. Hopefully that will resolve the issue..!

Old 06-17-14, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't try it unless you determine that to be the problem first, because if it isn't, it may make the tension too tight so that you can't pull the handle all the way down.

Old 06-17-14, 07:50 PM
Make sure the cables that connect the safety handle and the "go" handle aren't interfering. It's possible the "go" handle is interfering with the safety cable.

Old 06-19-14, 09:36 AM
Fixed. I was not paying attention to the fact that the engine accelerator cable had come out. Attached is a picture. I placed the cable in the right place and it works just fine. Thanks for all you help.!

Attached Images   
Old 06-19-14, 09:39 AM
You are spot on Brian. Take a look at what I found out after doing all the tuneup.. Silly me.. But its a good thing that I did tuneup the mower. In case if the same problem happens to someone else, this might be the first thing to check.

Attached Images