Help no brakes!

Old 06-17-14, 01:17 PM
Help no brakes!

Toro Wheel Horse 13-38XL. MDL#71185 I have adjusted the brake before a directed in the owners manual, this time when I adjusted the nut was quite tight I turned it about a 1/2 turn and still did not get much braking action but when I went to mow and all kinds of smoke came from somewhere ,not the belts ,any suggestions would help also a parts breakdown of what is inside that tranny .
It dose shift alright although it is a little jumpy.
Geo

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-14, 10:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you need to take apart the brake and clean the pins, lube them, make sure the disk moves freely on the shaft, and probably replace the pucks. It sounds like the brake is applying pressure to one side and not releasing, causing the smoke and probably the jerky shifting.

Old 06-18-14, 06:44 AM
Thanks,I have it all apart and cleaned up put back together and still no brakes,how thick should the pads be? And I have it on jack stands testing for braking which I don't believe should make a difference.
Geo

Old 06-18-14, 08:28 AM
All set with the brakes,I ended up shimming the pads out with shim stock for now,when they fail again I will replace the pads,both wheels had to be on the ground to test,how thick will the new pads be?
Geo