Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

toro personal pace mower

NY

06-09-14, 10:21 PM   #1  
toro personal pace mower

I have a 2005 Toro Super Recycler 21" with a Cast Deck and Rear Wheel Drive, Model # 20054.

Do I need to check the Transmission Grease Level?
How often should it be checked? I have looked in the service manual & operators manual and I can find no information on checking the grease in the Transmission.
What Grease do I use to add grease if needed, #2 EP? Can I use a Synthetic, or should I just use a Lithium #2 EP grease?
How full should the Transmission be, packed full or a little room left when full?
How do I know when the Wheels/Zerk Fitting have enough grease? Can I add to much?

When adjusting the Cable for the Personal Pace, how tight should I pull the cable, should there be some slack?

I add Sta-Bil to ALL the gas for my lawn/snow equipment. Is it a good idea to once a year add an ounce or two of a good quality Fuel Injector Cleaner to the fuel too, or could this be harmful?

I just found this thread, and I have learned a GREAT deal from reading it!!!

Thank You to everyone for your questions and contributions!!!!!!

Sponsored Links

FL

06-10-14, 10:02 AM   #2  
The Toro WPM Drive Systems Manual (Googlable) says:

"Proper lubrication for this transmission is 2.5 3 fluid ounces (7.1cc 9.0cc) of lithium based No. 2 grease."

They also say, when reassembling a transmission after service and repair, to "add grease and replace cover."

So I'd say to remove the cover, check to see if there's a few ounces of grease in there, add some if not, and replace the cover. It's not too hard, so do it as part of the annual service.

I've found the Zerks don't do a good job of lubing the inner bushings; I disassemble both shafts and lube them manually, but also squirt some grease in every couple of months.

I set the cable so that it behaves right -- goes forward when I want it to, goes backward freely.

Don't know about the FI cleaner, but I do the same with a carb cleaner. It's a feel-good thing, I suppose.

Last edited by DrMikey; 06-10-14 at 12:04 PM.

NY

06-10-14, 11:05 PM   #3  
Toro 21" Aluminum Deck Personal Pace Model: 20054

Dr Mikey, Thank You!

I have the manual, but there are so many different transmissions with nothing to state what transmission is in what type of Toro Lawn Mower. I wanted to make sure that I was using the correct information that applied to my specific Toro Model.

I have just ordered a new Drive Belt. When I install it I will remove the cover and check the grease to make sure that there is sufficient quantity in the Transmission. Is there anything that I should pay attention to or look for?
Is there any danger of the screws for the Transmission Cover snapping off, like the ones used on the mower deck did when I tried to remove them? It would have been nice if Toro had used a little anti-seize on the screws. Steel and Aluminum don't mix, so every steel screw on the aluminum deck snapped when I tried to remove them, even though I used PB Blaster on them several times a week or so before trying to remove them!!

How difficult is it to remove the wheels to grease the inner bushings like you mentioned? Is there anything that will fall off when I try to take them off and apart to manually grease them?

My Toro is almost 10 years old now. Knock On Wood, it has started on the first pull EVERY time since new and I was just thinking that maybe a little F.I. Cleaner, along with the Sta-Bil that I put in every can of gas for my mower/snow equipment, might help to keep the whole fuel system clean so that the first pull starts will continue!

:HF2: Thanks Again Dr Mikey!! :HF2:

Jennifer

FL

06-11-14, 04:29 AM   #4  
On page ix of the manual I referenced, the "Code List" for your 20054 mower shows it's a Cast Deck model, with a Spur Bevel transmission. Digging further into the manual, Section 2 deals with that transmission.

Section 7 tells you how to adjust the Personal Pace cable, and Section 8 deals with replacing the drive belt.

I've never had any trouble with the screws on the transmission cover, probably because of all the grease around. I've never had to remove any screws in the deck, but I'll remember your problems and be careful. You did everything right, though, so I'm not sure what else I could do. Did you eventually get them out OK? How?

It's easy enough to disassemble the axles, but there are a gazillion small parts to keep track of, and which have to be replaced on the axle in the proper order and orientation when you reassemble it. I keep a small dowel handy to string everything on when I take them off.

The Toro Parts Manual for your model has a pretty good diagram showing the axle assemblies. I can't give you the exact manual reference without knowing your serial number, but if it's a 2005, the s/n should be 250000001 to 250999999. If so, the manual for that series has a very nice exploded parts diagram for the axles, under "Transmission Assembly". If you figure out how it works, let me know.

Go to Toro - Homeowner Mowers, then click on Parts under Customer Care.

All good reading when you're having trouble falling asleep .

NY

06-11-14, 11:10 PM   #5  
Toro 21" Aluminum Deck Personal Pace Model 20054

Dr Mikey, I just passed over the "Code List." Guess I had better go back and take a closer look at what I have missed. THANK YOU for pointing it out to me!!!

I read the section on adjusting the Personal Pace Cable. Sometimes real people, people that DIY on their own equipment come up with tweaks that make things easier or better. That is why I asked about the cable adjustment. I have also already learned about removing the drive belt through my own personal experience the other day. Last fall, or maybe it was the previous fall, a stick got jammed into the belt and did a good job of burning a section of the belt through to the re-enforcing cables in the belt before I realized what was wrong. It has still been working, albeit not very well since. I was finally able to afford a new belt, luckily before the old one snapped and I lost the Personal Pace Drive completely, it arrives tomorrow. The other day the belt flipped over on to its back side and I had to relieve the tension on the belt so I could flip it over the way it should be so it could continue to limp along until the new belt arrives.

The screws did come out, although they fought like the blazes to stay where they were. I began spraying PB Blaster on the snapped off screws every time I put the mower away so it would soak in as deep as possible. When I was ready to remove them several months later, I gave the snapped off screw a good whack with a small dead-blow hammer and a sharp center punch to hopefully break the bond between the snapped off screw and the aluminum deck a little. Then I used a "Left Handed Drill Bit" to drill into the remaining piece of the snapped off screw. It started to loosen a little by the time I was as deep in to the screw as I thought I should go. I tapped an "Easy Out" into the screw and walked it out. All this could have been avoided with a dab of anti-seize when the mower was assembled.

I have downloaded all of the available manuals for my mower, serial # 250003592. When I see a diagram like the one for the axles I panic because of ALL of the many small pieces involved to take apart and re-assemble it!! I've been there before, and I have gotten the order wrong, by just one of the pieces and what I was working on did not work. It took me a while to take it back apart and figure out where I went wrong. As good as the diagram is, for someone like me that does not work on things like this very often, it is easy to confuse the parts because the picture, although very good, is not very clear to someone not familiar with the names and assemblies like this.

I will have to check out Toro- Homeowner Mowers, Thanks!!

As far as good reading goes, I am reading a book titled "How Dogs Love Us" where several dogs are trained to have f-MRI scans done multiple times to see how their brains react to different stimuli. I have ALWAYS had two companions. I lost my last two in 2012 within three months of each other. The mother(Shadow), both were Black Labs, was 17 when she passed from cancer and the daughter(Jesse) was almost fourteen when she passed from Liver Disease. Both were with me for over 13 years. Right now I have two 8 pound Chihuahua/Miniature Pinscher Brothers, Bacon and Rascal, age four years, that I got from a rescue when they were removed from their previous owners because they had been abused. My two favorite subjects are books about dogs, and health & nutrition although I do very much enjoy a good mystery every so often!!!

Dr Mikey, Thank You for all of your help and all of the information!!!! I truly appreciate you taking the time to help!!!!!!!

FL

06-12-14, 03:37 PM   #6  
Now I know 2 women who know what a left-handed drill bit is, but only one who has actually used one. Wow. I'm impressed. Keep up the good work -- all of it.

MO

06-18-14, 12:43 PM   #7  
Hello,
I have a Toro PP Super Recycler Model 20055 that I purchases in 2007. I'm having a problem with the drive system. The left wheel has quite a bit of movement in it and it has a clicking sound when mowing and also when just pushing it with the engine off. I have read on here (great information by the way) that it could be the friction ring and clutch washer. Am I correct with his diagnoses? It still works just not as well and I am concerned with the movement in the wheel assembly. Thanks for the time and any advice. Have a good day.

Super Moderator

NJ

06-18-14, 01:11 PM   #8  
For reference all the below posts were removed from this thread

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ou...ace-mower.html

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

Search this Thread