Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD P805K riding mower steering slipping after gear replacement.

AR

06-19-14, 04:46 PM   #1  
MTD P805K riding mower steering slipping after gear replacement.

My Model P805K mower is having steering issues. When the steering wheel is turned, the tires do not move and a popping is heard from the steering gear and pinion slipping. I replaced the steering gear and pinion as there was excessive wear on them, but after about a hour of mowing afterwards the exact same problem returned. Something else is causing the two gears to not make contact but I am at a loss at where to start.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-19-14, 06:51 PM   #2  
Did you replace the bushing on the steering column? Usually that's the piece that needs replacing rather than the gears.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AR

06-19-14, 07:46 PM   #3  
I did not. Not sure which one you mean, though. The only bushings I know of are those that go in the drag links.

AR

06-20-14, 01:24 PM   #4  
Just an update: I replaced the bushing on the steering column (referenced as Hex Flange Bearing in the parts breakdown #741-0656A) and the issue was resolved. Not sure how I missed it being there when I was replacing the two gears. If anyone else has this issue pop up I'd recommend replacing this bushing first, as the steering ratio gear is a royal PITA to replace!

Thanks for the assist cheese.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-21-14, 01:55 AM   #5  
Glad to help, thanks for the update!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread