Troy Bilt Pony won't go...

Old 06-21-14, 10:16 AM
Troy Bilt Pony won't go...

I have a Troy Bilt Pony mower. I started mowing and suddenly it won't go forwards or backwards. It will barely move when you change it from forward to reverse but maybe 2 inches. The belts are all in place. I just replaced them last year. I pulled out the battery and checked the pulleys and they all move freely. All I did before it started was I slowed down to go around an object and when I let out on the pedal, it stopped moving. I don't see any broken springs, but didn't pull it apart that far to really see anything that would not be obvious. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a fairly good shade tree mechanic, but have never really worked on lawn mowers. If you walk me through the steps, I will be glad to follow any instructions you give to me. (In other words, I'm not stupid and can follow instructions, LOL!) I would think that when moving the Forward/Neutral/Reverse switch should engage something, but I can't see where it is doing anything to the belts. That is probably where the problem is at. Again, thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by hdstonemeister; 06-21-14 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-14, 05:21 PM
Hello hdstonemeister,

Try this first;

Start the machine up and while holding the clutch down and gear selector in neutral, Move your speed range selector into the highest range then let the clutch up. Watch the clutch pedal to see that it slowly comes up all the way, Now push the clutch down then shift into forward or reverse and see if it drives as normal.

If this doesn't solve your issue (neutralizing the variator) raise the seat and get the model number then post it up.

Good Luck

Old 06-21-14, 07:01 PM
Ahh, I found it!!! A spring had come loose!!! All working again!!! Thanks for the help!!!