cub cadet wiring ignition issue

Old 06-23-14, 01:53 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cub cadet wiring ignition issue

I have a cub cadet hds 2135 with a 12.5 hp kholer engine. I bought it used last year and it served all summer and fall, then I stored it for winter. In the spring, I replaced the air filter, battery, and both hydrostatic and engine oil and filters. I cleaned the engine, replaced the fuses, disconnected the electrical connectors and cleaned them as well. The problem began when the pto would not engage. the engine ran just fine. I tested the lead to determine if power was going to the pto, then used a jump wire to test the pto. Both were fine. so I fiddled (technical term) with the connectors I had cleaned to see if something coming from the ignition switch was loose, and it was. the machine worked fine for an hour or so before the pto cut out again. I wiggled the harness going into the ignition switch to see if it had come loose with the vibration but this time it was very warm. I turned off the engine, allowed it to cool, and disconnected that harness from the back of the ignition to discover it had partially melted.

Does this indicate a large problem with the electrical system?
Can I replace that little plastic harness that connects to the ignition? If so, where can I get one?

Old 06-23-14, 04:51 PM
Hello roshambeaux,

Does this indicate a large problem with the electrical system?
Can I replace that little plastic harness that connects to the ignition? If so, where can I get one?

That doesn't necessarily mean there's a large problem, A melted connector can be caused by a loose-corroded-rusty connection or faulty/burnt contacts inside the switch.

Some ignition switch connectors and terminals are offered for replacement, I'd suggest a new switch as well after repairing the connector. If you will raise your seat and get the full model and serial number off the white label, I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Old 06-24-14, 06:49 AM
R
Thank you, that is good news! I have model 2135 with serial 000258641. I found this page, Lawn Mower Ignition | Lawnmower Parts | Discount Online Parts | Affordable Lawnmower Parts . will any of these 5 way connectors serve?

Old 06-24-14, 02:35 PM
Hello roshambeaux,

If your switch has the five wire connector any of the three listed in your link will work, That company is only listing 3 of many OEM part numbers for that same style plug connector. You also want at-least 5 of their DOP33-351 terminals, I'd order a couple extras just in case you mess one up putting it on.

Once you get the new connector and switch installed, Start the machine and check if the wires start to heat up. Let in run about a half hour checking through out that time frame, If they don't heat up you should be good to go.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: