Running out of ideas, Briggs & Strat won't start/run easily.

Old 06-28-14, 04:46 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running out of ideas, Briggs & Strat won't start/run easily.

Time for help... I've spend days searching on the internet... I must be doing something incorrectly.

Ok, it's a 15.5hp Briggs & Stratton 283H07-0198E... donated to me by a co-worker. There is no decked and the drive belt is not installed.

Anyway, after a valve adjustment and carb cleaning, I was able to get it running. And it sounded ok. After about 15 mins, I turned it off. Before, I bolted everything back together, I wanted to make sure I truly had success.

Now it struggles to turn. I eventually remove the flywheel, and found that the key had sheared. Replaced it, but still have the same problem. With the plug removed it turns fine.

Regarding adjustments, I turned 1/4" after TDC of the compression stroke. A bit of confusion here... I currently believe the top rocker is the exhaust, and the bottom is the intake (exhaust lines up with the exhaust port). However, I seen two youtube videos at which speakers refer to the bottom valve is the exhaust (both referring to an engine that looked similar to mine). Anyway, assuming my original assumption is corrected, I set them to 0.004" on both.

I also read somewhere in regarding compression release. I do see the lower valve (assumed to be intake) close and reopen momentarily. So, based on that I can assume the system is working.

I've check the push rods, and the look straight. As well as the other hardware in the valve train.

I've rechecked the flywheel key, and it looks to be intact.

Anything else? Did I identified the intake and exhaust valves correct? And help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I hope I don't have to tear into the engine. This was supposed to be a replacement motor.

Old 06-30-14, 05:36 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Over 200+ views, and no replies.

Anyway, an update... after more digging, I've convinced myself I had the correct id on the valves. Then I decided to go through everything again, and during the course check the battery... I had been using a car battery to jump the starter... but during course of chasing the compression issue, I ran it low.

Hope someone out there can make use of my experience. Double check the obvious!

Old 06-30-14, 10:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. I just logged on and saw the thread and was thinking you either had a poor battery or bad starter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: