Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 42inch Lawn Tractor Doesn't Shift When Brake Depressed

VT

06-28-14, 05:07 PM   #1  
Craftsman 42inch Lawn Tractor Doesn't Shift When Brake Depressed

I have a Craftsman lawn tractor, 20 HP, 42 inch deck, 6 speed transaxle, model no. 917.272910. I just replaced the motion drive belt (v-belt, ground drive, part no. 130801) today with a new one because the old one was stretched out and kept coming off in the middle of mowing. I have the new belt on and now I cannot shift to any gear while the engine is running and the brake is depressed. When the engine is not running I can move through the whole spectrum of gears with no problem. When it is running and in gear moving over the lawn, I can shift from gear to gear with out depressing the brake. Only when the brake is depressed with the engine running I cannot shift from gear to gear. I tried adjusting the brake in both directions but that didn't fix the problem. Any advice on what might be the problem? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

06-28-14, 11:41 PM   #2  
Sounds like you bought a belt that wasn't OEM and it's too short.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VT

06-30-14, 12:35 PM   #3  
Thanks for the info. You are exactly right. I've put the original belt back on and it is shifting through the gears like it is designed to do. Now to find the OEM belt. Appreciate your reply.

MTCSSRetired

Search this Thread