Modified LAWN TRACTOR

Old 07-04-14, 12:43 PM
Modified LAWN TRACTOR

I am trying to change the deck mower from a craftsman DYT 4,000 to a craftsman LT 1,000 everything looks okay but the main problem is that the DYT 4,000 has an electric PTO amd the LT 1,000 is manual. My question is what can i do to put it to work. Is it by changing the harness? Any ideas or suggestions are helpfull

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-14, 09:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd be inclined to just put the pto clutch and retainer/holder bracket on and install a toggle switch to turn it on/off.

Old 07-06-14, 09:58 AM
Any ideas on how to wire it?

Old 07-06-14, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It just has two wires, hook it up just like a light bulb. Power to one, ground on the other. Switch the power and put a fuse holder and fuse inline right where you tap in to get your power. If you want to utilize any safety switches to turn it off if you fall off the seat or go in reverse, etc..., then you should probably utilize the entire harness from the donor mower.

Old 05-09-15, 09:10 PM
I found that the two. Wires are the same color normally when one is ground and power are diferent color

Old 05-09-15, 09:15 PM
Right now it is working without the electric pto I replaced the pto for another pulley but when start the engine the blades start working too no way to adjust it.

Old 05-09-15, 11:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
cheese has a bad habit of not reading all the posts or even all of EACH post IMO.

I might indeed be misunderstanding but from what I am seeing posted, the decks should not be interchangeable.
The deck from the manual PTO will have an idler pulley that is engaged via a cable that would run to a handle above the mower.
The deck from an electric PTO will have a fixed belt tension and is only engaged when the electric PTO on the engine pulley is engaged.

From you last post, I am further confused, although, I will make an attempt at making an ass-u-me tion.

1: Keep the current deck and reinstall the electric PTO and wire it as cheese mentioned.
2: Keep the current engine pulley and reinstall the deck with the manual idler pulley and redo the rigging to engage it.

Normally I would not have even replied to this, however, it is beginning to sound like someone could get hurt so I felt a need to pipe up...

Peace
Azis

Old 05-10-15, 06:24 AM
Group Moderator
I would say Cheese read the thread and advised a very simple and easy way to the electric PTO clutch and control it with a switch. Aperrado choose to not follow that advice and simply drives the deck directly with no PTO, mechanical or electrical. The blades turn when the engine is running.

As for the two wires of a clutch being the same color is because it doesn't matter. The clutch has a electro magnet inside and it work equally well with the current flowing in either direction.

Old 05-10-15, 11:09 AM
You are right since electrical clutch has no way to loosen belts when start it work direct when start the mower now I going to change clutch and try ti wire it ty to you guys to take the time to help it is very appreciated.also my post is little old maybe it is the cause cheese no saw the new posts.

Old 05-10-15, 01:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I re-read this and I don't see where I missed anything. What is the problem where I have dropped the ball?

The decks on manual and electric pto mowers can be interchanged as long as the rest of the mowers are the same. The deck is the same, you just have to swap the hardware from one to the other...so I don't see the deck being a problem since the OP asked about the wiring harness, not deck compatability. Since the question was about the harness, I replied regarding the electrical aspect of the project.

Last edited by cheese; 05-10-15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
cheese surely hope you know I meant no disrepect at all and in this case, It was me who did not notice the length of times between posts.
I never meant to imply you did or ever do drop the ball, simply that sometimes you seem to miss some info and or repeat some and have admitted doing so.
Was not the case in this instance, my apologies for any misunderstanding, I do highly regard you and your experience.

I also had not intended to state that the decks themselves were not interchangeable as apparently, each is able to mount to the same tractor, more precisely I meant the operation of each deck, which cheese was spot on about changing the hardware, simply in my mind I thought better to use which ever deck was meant to be used for which ever PTO system was chosen.

Honestly with the setup mentioned I am surprised the mower even starts and certainly will strain both the starter and battery in doing so, and presents an unsafe condition.

Last edited by BFHFixit; 05-10-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-10-15, 11:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh I don't deny that I often miss details from skimming the posts over too fast . It happens more often than I care to admit. I was just trying to see what I missed here... you are one member who if you say I missed something, I am looking because I must have missed something!

No need to apologize... If I need correcting, please correct me!

I assume the decks got changed because of holes or other wear issues that made one deck better than the other. I'm also assuming the hardware was swapped too, since everything "looks okay"... but I know what assuming gets me.

I agree that the current setup is definitely a safety issue and a strain on the starting system.

Old 05-13-15, 06:54 PM
The two wires from the pto same color are positive or ground and positive

Old 05-13-15, 08:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One positive, one ground.

Old 05-14-15, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
It's an electro magnet. It doesn't care which is + or - but yes, you could say one is + and the other is - ... it just doesn't matter which is which.