trouble with blade engagement wire again

Old 07-08-14, 05:20 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
trouble with blade engagement wire again

first i had a problem with trying to get the blades to turn off when i disengaged the lever thing by the steering wheel that connects to the engagment wire, so i installed a new blade engagement wire that seemed to help the blade start better but it still wasnt stopping when i disengaged it so i bought that little spring idler spring and i attached that to the deck and to a hole on that one wheel on the deck, was working great , blade stopped spinning when i disengaged the lever.

well now i go to engage the blade the black plastic thing thats on the end of the blade engager cable that attackeds to the little knob on the lever snaps off cuz its just too much force. so i take it apart and im thinking maybe i put the spring idler spring in the wrong spot so i took that off and tried again still way too difficult to engage it was like rock solid stuck, i tried keeping it together with pliers and then pulling it up blade still wont spin , u know how the lever area is shaped like a candy cane sorta u gotta go up and then to the right and down, i cant get the wire anywhere near that possition, so i thought id try spraying almost everything on the deck with wd40 , all the parts down there seem to move easily, i tried pulling on the wire from below and it just pulls that one wheel back like it should but the engagemnt wire is nowhere near where it should be. im so devastated, im dealing with sleep apnea and i dont have my cpap machine yet, im about to have a psychotic break, any help would be greatly appreciated. i thought perhaps maybe i need new belt for the deck but why is the engagment cable not wanting to pull up any help would be greatly appreciated, i live in FL its crucial i get this working or im gonna be in a mess.

Old 07-08-14, 09:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Look at the blade brake arms, at the ends in the middle of the deck. There is a roller at the end of both arms. Lubricate these rollers so that they spin freely and lubricate the pivot point on the deck where the tensioner pulley bracket rotates. If the deck has grass buildup, clean all that off before doing this.

Old 07-08-14, 05:16 PM
D
Blade engaged

One thing to at is to make sure the proper size belt is on.
If the belt is too small it won't disengage completely causing
the blade to turn continuously making it very dangerous.

Old 07-08-14, 05:41 PM
E
thanks alot for replying, the belt is the original belt, ill take a look @ those arms u talking about, tomorrow im going to put a new belt on and see if that helps after i check the arms, thanks alot ill post back my progress or backslides
thanks guys

Old 07-09-14, 02:08 PM
E
i put a new belt on and really sprayed all the breaks and any kinda movable arm with wd40, removed any grass, put deck back on and still couldnt get the engagment lever to go nowhere without the wire popping off, so i thought id try something i installed the whole lever housing upside down then when i put the lever down it would sorta work the blades would spin weakly, so to mow the yard i took some needle nose pliers and levered it so the wire would be really tight it went alright except tough parts of grass it would shut off and sometimes it seemed only one blade was spinning so the wire obv wasnt tight enough. you guys got any ideas why the wire was able to pull further when i put the housing upside down?

Old 07-09-14, 05:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something is wrong with the area I described.

Old 07-09-14, 06:31 PM
E
i G.I.'d it but ill give it another look , thanks man

Old 07-09-14, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at the rotating plate where the rollers I mentioned hit. Sometimes that plate gets worn spots where those rollers are. If so, take the plate off and grind it back smooth or replace it.

Old 07-12-14, 03:08 PM
E
yep that was it the break arms, i put like 1/4 a can of wd40 on both break arms moved them back and forth well and now it works im going to leave the spring idler off and leave well enough alone

thanks alot guys for the help, live in FL grass grows so fast u can almost hear it was crucial i got it working, appreciate the help immensely

Old 07-12-14, 09:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually it's the rollers at the inside ends of the brake arms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: