power washer stopped and won't start

Old 07-06-14, 03:21 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question power washer stopped and won't start

I have been power washing for the last few days. i am using an Excell 2600 with a Honda GC160 engine. Its about 10 years old but has been well maintained and never used much. While using my second tank of gas for the day, the engine just stopped and would not restart. When We pulled the cord there was very little resistance and no turnover at all. A bit of history includes low water pressure coming from our well. This engine issue started three tanks full after we got the pressure fixed. The day of and the day before the water had been surging just a little if that matters. We were reading that low or inconsistent water pressure hurts pump.Based on that information about the pump, we removed it. with the pump off the engine does not act any different. It still has very little resistance and no turnover. We are trying to figure out if we blew the engine or if this is a pump issue.. we are hoping it is something little like a switch.. but when it stopped it was going strong and just stopped. Like someone flipped a switch. I was wearing ear covers so I can not tell you if it sputtered. I can only say that it was working great one second and dead the next. This unit is very hard to start and there has been kickback in the past so to have no resistance at all is unusual. The filters are clean, the spark plug seems clean, the gas should be good.. its been working for several days. Thats about all I can tell you off the top of my head. Your advice is valued and hopefully I can answer your questions.

Old 07-06-14, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
A blown honda GX engine is very rare. If it was any other engine, I'd say it sounds like you threw a rod, but I would instead suspect a broken rocker arm. I've seen that a time or two on these engines. Take a look and see. If you have absolutely no resistance, I would stick a straw down the spark plug hole and see if you feel the piston moving when you rotate the engine.

Old 07-07-14, 09:35 AM
A
Thanks Cheese... This is beyond the scope of my abilities so I will wait until my husbands gets home. Thanks for your assistance I can only hope it is something small... at least this sounds potentially small. ...Carol

Old 07-07-14, 10:58 AM
A
Wink The piston does move....

So I guess that means the rod is working. What is next? Thanks again. Ncarol

Old 07-07-14, 03:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Broken rocker arm is my guess.

Old 07-08-14, 02:04 PM
A
Is a broken rocker arm something that a consumer can usually do themselves? MY husband was a car mechanic but worked under the car..I guess I am saying he has some ability.

Old 07-08-14, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, very easy repair. If he was a car mechanic, he should be quite familiar with rocker arms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: