Briggs Twin 22hp intermittent miss - eating coils

Old 07-13-14, 05:38 AM
Briggs Twin 22hp intermittent miss - eating coils

I have a 5 year old Simplicity with a 22hp Briggs V-twin (model 44K777). At 2 years old I developed a low speed miss that progressed to higher rpm. Eventually found the right bank coil wire arking, so I replaced the coil pack. A year later, another miss, coming from the left bank. Replaced that coil and all was good. Here I am 18 months later and have developed, again, a lower speed miss (which will progress). Replacement coils to date were OEM. I have no idea why these packs are going bad, if I should be looking for a root cause or if there is a better replacement. Ideas, help?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-14, 07:22 AM
I believe the two coil jobs have a resistor in the wiring harness where the two kill wires merge to go to common ground. That resistor/wiring harness may be behind your problem, if the quality of the coils aren't.

The one thing I can think of for that setup would be to prevent grounding of one coil through the other during the ignition cycle. Just theorizing, if those two circuits aren't kept separate, the cross over may be feeding into the other coil and ruining it.

It may be something else other guys here would add to or disagree with. We'll see if they jump in here.

Old 07-13-14, 06:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that the wire with the diodes in it could be a suspect cause of the problem.

Old 07-15-14, 07:31 PM
Diodes is what they are, not resistors - Sorry.

Old 07-15-14, 08:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, we know what you meant!

Search this Thread